Monday, May 23, 2016

N.Y. day 3

Saturday night was actually pretty low key. Gina, Jimmy, and I were going to go to a Cuban restaurant in Ridge Hill but they were booked between 6 and 9:15. So instead we stayed behind and had some buffalo chicken meatloaf, mini potatoes, asparagus, and homemade key lime pie.
Jimmy's mom made breaded avocado bites as an appetizer. I ate two of them and my stomach throbbed for the next hour. I don't know if it was the quality of the avocado or she put something like mayo on to help the breading stick. Anyway, Jimmy, Gina, Peter, and I made a grocery store run to New Rochelle and during the thirty minute ride, I felt I could hurl. Thankfully I didn't. We spent the rest of the night playing uno and watching old game shows on tv.

I woke up on Sunday around seven, much earlier than the others. Jimmy got up and made coffee. As a non coffee drinker, I opted for water. On the other hand, Gina needs about five cups to just begin functioning. Jimmy and I went to get bagels and I got a dozen to bring home. I did show Jimmy and Gina how to do some DDP yoga. Since Gina is a trainer, she was mostly observing. But Jimmy tried a few things for five minutes and stopped.

They were going to brunch and a beer garden to celebrate Gina's birthday, while I was going to Citi Field. I'd heard rain was forecasted for Sunday, but by the time I got to Queens, it was just cloudy and 60. It took about 90 minutes to get over there. I met Joe Curci, three plus years in the making. I gave him a big hug and we went into the stadium. I spent a good amount of time in the Mets Hall of Fame and team store.

For food, I hit up Mamas of Corona for an Italian sub. And since they have coke now, I happily spent $5.50 for a bottle of cherry coke. Noah Syndergaard pitched and his 100 mph fastballs and 90 mph sliders were awesome to watch. Michael Conforto belted a long home run and the Mets won 3-1, sweeping the Brewers in three games.

We had to leave in the eighth inning adj I could get to the airport. The night before, I realized I booked myself for a flight on the 29th, not the 22nd. So I switched my flight to the 6:55 and realized that the flights were a lot more full than I realized. All the flights were either red or yellow, meaning no chance to fair chance of getting on as a standby passenger. I told Joe that I needed him to drive me to LaGuardia and I wanted to leave early. We took the backroads and he got me there at 4:10. Thankfully, with no luggage to check in, I printed my boarding pass and headed through security, which was a lot easier than last year even I got frisked and screened privately.

I knew there was a 5:50 flight, but it turned out there was also a 4:50. I headed over to D3 and the flight was already boarding. I spoke to the gate agent as professionally as I could and asked to be placed on the standby list for this fight. There were already 15 names on the standby list and only two had been confirmed at that pint, so I thought I had no chance to get on, I just wanted a better chance to get on. She explained I had to go to the rebooking center at D1 to do it in the future, but she'd do it this time. I told her thank you and I appreciated her service and that I didn't want to add any stress. I walked back over to my bags and put on some music.

Five minutes later, they gave me a last call. My eyes perked up and I sprinted to the gate. They told me to get my bags. I ran back got my bags, and ran back to the counter again! I had to check my bag in, but I was on the flight. I was baffled, but thrilled to get home in the early evening.

Now to find some dinner...

No comments: