Friday, April 06, 2018

To you

I have been trying to find the right words to say for weeks to you now. I realize that there are no perfect words. Almost nothing I can say will cushion this. I just have to say it. I am not interested in pursuing this further.

We had about six or eight weeks that were really good. New Year's Eve was very memorable and it as fun. That cold we went through in Manhattan and Queens was insane. We have quite a few things in common and bonding over those have provided me with a lot of laughter and fun.

But you knew how I felt. I hesitated to get back into a long distance situation. It has failed for me before and I see no reason that it won't fail again. When you visited in February, and the time came to say goodbye, I knew for sure that it was not what I wanted.

You have pushed me really hard. In many ways. But the most disturbing was asking to move in with me after three months of knowing each other. I wouldn't move in with a girl if I knew her for less than a year, and even then, I would not be sure I would want to do that, certainly not before getting engaged. You wanted me to rescue you from a crappy living situation in Queens where you have two lousy jobs and had a flooded bathtub. You want me to reach down and pull you up. But then what do I get back from you? This is the same situation I was in five years ago and I do not desire go back into it again.

And then there's the sexual aspect. You've pushed me harder and harder to a level that I am not comfortable with. And I'm still not. There is so much more to making a relationship last than hobbies and a physical connection. I've given in and given in just to make you happy. I am no longer willing to do that.

Most of all, our values. You clearly believe in things that I do not and I believe in certain things that while you say you would make an effort to understand where I'm coming from and who I am, I don't believe that you are sincere. It's just what you think I want to hear. And through a lot of heartbreak and rejection, I have a pretty good radar for when someone is being real and when they're full of it.

I give you a lot of credit for this though. You have been very affirming, very considerate, and very giving. About as much as anyone I've ever known. But I know inside of me that I do not have that same spirit in me towards you. If I was that giving, it would be out of obligation, not out of desire. We both deserve better than that.

This wasn't supposed to get to this point. You're really not supposed to be here. Not now, not anymore. It's over.

No comments: