Sunday, July 25, 2021

Chapter 1-Smooth the Bumps

I would get delayed by 5.5 hours in the nothing happening Newport News airport. It was so slow and boring, I drank a $12 Jack and ginger in the bar at 9:30 am. After arriving at Airport 1 at 6 am, the plane finally left for Charlotte at 1pm, with about half the passengers that initially boarded 6.5 hours earlier. 

One of the most aggravating parts of this is the federal requirement to wear these outdated masks. We're nearly all vaccinated, what is the point anymore? Why can't they just be optional?

We landed around 2:10 and I shuffled through an airport terminal that was so busy it made Times Square look like a winter Iowa cornfield. My gate was located at the end of Terminal B, which means lots of large planes, not lots of room. Right next to our gate were gates that were boarding flights to JFK and LaGuardia. Not only that, 26 standby passengers were trying to get on my plane! Thank God I was confirmed, I only had to wait 20 minutes to board. 

On a brighter note, I did score a $12 meal voucher, which I used in Chicago. I thought about going to Frontera, but with their abbreviated menu, I went to Prairie Tap, a tiny bar that I remembered had a good ribeye sandwich. I took one of those down along with a pile of fries. And I would up sitting next to two random guys, Darren and Andrew, though the latter looked like the twin of Jeff Daniels character from Dumb and Dumber. We drank beer and joked about everything from comedies to sports to beer. My homework is I have to watch Blazing Saddles. It was a great time and the cool thing is I never would've been in that airport if my flights had gone according to plan. 

Fittingly my last plane was delayed another two hours... of course, for me, that's minor. But I did land around 10:30, so that's basically 20 hours when you factor in time zone changes. Lugged my 40 pounds suitcase up the flights of stairs because the Pioneer Square station doesn't have a working escalator. I passed about 15 homeless people in two city blocks. Just filthy. 

No comments: