Monday, March 27, 2006

Plenty to talk about

but I'll stick with fantasy sports right now.

Well basketball is over and I finished one game out of the playoffs in seventh place. I really feel this team underachieved as I could have done some damage in the championship tournament. I have a bye this week and play in the conosolation semis next week.

I won in hockey 9-1 and am in the championship semifinals. I'm playing a team that I finished only one point behind in the regular season. My opponent lost Dan Boyle with an ankle injury, so that could hurt his defense. Then again he has Mathieu Schenider and Rob Blake, so he won't be lacking for firepower. He seems to be one of those guys who has completely ignored his roster as he still has Ed Belfour in a starting goalie role. I don't think Ed Belfour is even in the NHL right now. And he's certainly not healthy. More info on this match as the days go by. I want my first championship!

My Daily Herald League draft is done and I have to say, I am not thrilled. I will make a number of waiver moves and then I will post the roster. But last year, I felt really good and I bombed out by June.

A few notes from last night's draft at the Country House in Lisle.

1) Great 1/2 pound sirloin burgers and iced tea.

2) We sat, the 10 of us, around a table according to our draft order. The last guy who picks in the first round (and all odd-numbered rounds) goes first in the second round (and all even-numbered rounds) and you keep going through 30 rounds. So I picked 8th overall and then third in the 2nd round. I sat next to Neil, who's an older guy (looks like Orson Welles). Originally from Flushing, NY. If there's a target for teasing in the group, it's him. Twice, he lost track of which direction we were picking, and he picked before I was supposed to pick. One time was one thing. But two and he was just asking for it.

3) One guy drafted Holliday. We didn't know if that was Roy Halladay or Matt Holliday!

4) Four Johns or Johnny's were drafted in a row: Gomes, Peralta, Lackey, and Patterson. The next guy should've taken Juan Castro or Juan Rivera. It's still a John, right?! Other John's on the board at the time: Garland, Lieber, Thomson, Papelbon, Buck, Estrada, Rauch, and Mabry.

5) Julie, who had the second pick, is the only woman in the league and usually finishes last. We were taking an exceptionally long time to make picks. And she starts piping up and says "I don't have time to fool around!" And I said "Maybe if you did fool around, you'd finish better in the standings." The whole table didn't just crack up, they were gone. Hardcore laughing for about 20-30 seconds.

6) I got a quick dig on Neil at one point. I don't remember what I said but it happened when he took Nick Swisher one pick before I was going to take him and I settled on Pedro Feliz. But Neil said "You're good. See guys, his insults are gentler. You oughta give these guys humor lessons." Suffice to say, no one's ever said that to me before!

No comments: