Tuesday, August 15, 2006

My tribute to Carol Bugh

She was the wife of Rob Bugh, the senior pastor at Wheaton Bible Church, where I have been going on and off since 1998. Last Friday, around 11 pm, she died of melanoma of the liver at the age of 50. She had been battling the disease for 11 months. I have posted a link to the obituary of the funeral home and a series of updates on her condition chronicling the last several months.

http://www.meaningfulfunerals.net/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=55286&fh_id=10184

http://www.wheatonbible.org/?p=482

Now I didn't really know her. I think I saw her 2 months ago at a service because she was sitting right next to where Rob would sit and she looked a little thin. I'm pretty sure that was her. The only words I exchanged with her came 5 years ago at a smooth jazz concert at Navy Pier. Mom begged me to go with her so I did. So in between acts, I'm walking up the stairs towards the back when I recognize Rob and Carol was near him. And somehow they recognized me though they had never met me. I don't remember the conversation but it lasted a few minutes. From then on, whenever I said hi to Rob, he would always give me a smile and a nice greeting. He never called me by my name, so he might not have remembered. But that's okay. He knows a lot of people I'm sure.

As for their kids, I don't know Ryan as he'll be in 6th grade this year. He's the one I really feel for since he's the only boy, the youngest, and the only one not done with high school. He's losing a lot of years he should have had with his mom. I knew Alissa a little. She was a host at Outback and is rteturning to college in Arizona soon. I did a mission trip with Kyle many years ago and we didn't get along too great. But I think well of her, sometimes misunderstandings happen. She'll be a senior at Wheaton College after transferring from a school in California to be with her family. As for Shannon, the eldest daughter who is my age, I had gotten to know her better over the last 3 years. I only saw her on occasion since she spent a lot of time in Colorado, but she just came across with the warmest heart toward me. And I wasn't even one of her best friends. And she just married some guy I've never heard of. He's a lucky guy to have her though.

I attended the early church service Sunday morning and it was very subdued. Rob obviously wasn't there. It was a time spent mostly in prayer for the family and speaking of the joy (she's gone to be with her maker) and sorrow (the loss of a loved one) the church can feel in this time.

So in my life, I can't begin to relate to this kind of loss. But I'll be attending the visitation at the church today, if only for a few minutes. Just my own way of paying my respects. So any prayer for the family and for the church would be great.

The lyrics ahead are from a Randy Travis album called "Passing Through." The song is "I Can See It In Your Eyes." I played this the morning after I heard of Carol's death. And though it doesn't mention God, I think this would sum up her and Rob pretty well.

The first time I saw you I felt weak inside
I search my heart and mind for words I couldn't find.
Some how you seemed to see what came over me that night.
As a love began to grow that would last for all time.

And you said, ''I can see it in your eyes. They're the windows to your soul.
Sometimes they say more than words could ever hope.
We could wait a thousand lifetimes and never feel like this again.
But when you look at me that way I can see it in your eyes.'

Later on I asked your hand and I prayed the time was right.
I knelt down on one knee and said, 'Would you be my bride?'
Then the sound of silence filled the air as your tears fell with mine.
You didn't have to say a word for me to realize.

And I said, ''I can see it in you eyes. They're the window to your soul.
I see dreams come alive and future plans unfold.
I could wait a thousand lifetimes and not find a perfect love again.
When you look at me that way I can see it in your eyes.

Many years have come and gone and what a life we've made.
Now again we search for words as the heart inside me breaks.
Until death do we part were the vows we made.
And now the time has come but goodbye's so hard to say.

But I can see it in your eyes. They're the windows to your soul.
The light of life is burning but soon you're leaving me I know.
But time that's left is precious dear so please don't shed another tear.
You don't have to say a word. I can see it in your eyes.

I've heard you say a thousand times "I'll love you dear, until I die."
But you don't have to say a word. I can see it in your eyes.

No comments: