Monday, February 12, 2007

As usually happens

When I go a week or 2 and barely post, it means two things. I'm no longer allowed to blog at work and I have a lot on my mind. Let's get the sports out of the way.

Jim Duquette, former GM of my Mets, and now the GM of the Orioles must be hell-bent on recreating the 2003 Mets. Because he has brought in former Mets like Jorge Julio, Tyler Yates, Bruce Chen, Chad Bradford, and now the lovely Roger Cedeno. Now he acquired Kris Benson (the pitcher with the attractive wife who can't keep quiet) at the beginning of last season. Today, it comes out Benson tore his rotator cuff and will miss most of the season. Duquette promptly goes out and signs longtime Met Steve Trachsel! Uh Jimmy, when you were here the Mets never hit finished a season .500. This will not work.

And that brings me to the current GM of my team and yours. The New York Metropolitans. Omar. Omar Minaya. I trust you. But Chan Ho Park? Chan Ho Park? Instead of acquiring one or two solid reliable starters, Omar got 5 or 6 fringe starters and is hoping one of them holds up. My thought is this. No matter how much crap you pile on top of crap, in the end, it's just smellier crap! I hope I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

In football, the New York Giants released Carlos Emmons (no surprise), Lavar Arrington (minor surprise considering they'd had him one year), and Luke Petitgout (shock!) While Petitgout was the anchor of their offensive line and it was his injury that really sent the Giants downhill, I'm happy. He gets called for more penalties than the Rangers and Islanders will get combined in their season series this year. His nickname should be "False Start." Nobody has the art of taking the false start penalty down better than #77. So sayonara.

Sean Avery is making a big difference since joining the New York Rangers. And in a good way! Maybe he's the sour that was needed to counteract the sweet. Avery is tough, not afraid to speak his mind, and aggressive. With all the speedy, shifty European skaters we suit up every night, this kind of player was needed. So a good move by Glen Sather. And let's see what the other recent acquiree, Pascal Dupuis, can contribute.

My time at home at night has gotten to the point that when I make it home, I just want the kitchen and living room empty. That may not make sense to you. To tell the truth, it's too upsetting to expand on what I just typed.

Carrie Underwood, please go away. You're overrated. You're a puppet.

I'll get to the weekend that was, a little bit later.

No comments: