Monday, April 23, 2007

Back on top, sort of

To quote Samoa Joe, I'll have you know that the champ is here. Jim, Matt, Eli, Kim, Cam, and I (Lazer) won the Willow Creek volleyball tournament on Sunday. In all fairness, it was decisive. We never allowed more than 15 points in any of the four games we won. So we win t-shirts (light blue) and 40 bucks to go out with. Something tells me for 6 bucks each, we'll be able to supersize those fries...

But you know something. Championships are a good feeling and a decent accomplishment, but that's it. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm proud of my own work this season and I'm especially proud of my teammates. I know the work I put in the gym got me ready physically to play the best volleyball I've ever played. But with every league I play in, I see more nad more truth in a quote from Cool Runnings, the movie about the Jamaican bobsled team. John Candy's character is talking to one of the sledders and he says "A gold medal is a wonderful thing. But if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it."

Well now it's softball season. We'll see what team I play on, if I even get an opportunity to play.

No comments: