Friday, June 29, 2007

Moving forward

I've written tributes to people who have passed away for my last two posts that I felt I had to put something new on here.

A lot has been going on. First of all, I was at the Cubs-Brewers game in Wrigley today. The game was incredible, with Milwaukee leading 5-0 after 1 inning and the Cubs rallying back with 3 runs in the ninth to win it 6-5. I brought the tickets off my boss, and since he's a diehard Cubs fan, he's probably kicking himself right now for letting me go!

A few notes on the experience. First, there is nothing like the subway ride to Wrigley. After a few minutes, you can even tell what deodorant people around you use, if they use any at all. There is literally no room to move in that subway car. Here's what I want to do. About two stops before Wrigley (we had about a 35 minutes subway ride), I want to say out loud "I'm getting off!" Everyone clears out of the train to let me pass and then I just shrug and say "Kidding!"

I would love to be able to sit in one of those rooftop seats across the street from Wrigley Field. That and the seats on top of the Green Monster at Fenway have to be the two biggest seats in baseball stadiums. But here's another connection between Wrigley Field and Fenway Park. In Fenway, they have one seat in the right field stands painted red where Ted Williams once hit a home run 502 feet, the longest home run hit in the Park. I think Wrigley should paint the seat where Steve Bartman sat for the NLCS Game 6 in 2003. I'd pay 50 extra bucks for that seat!

Now a few words on Cubs fans. I realize this addresses some people reading this, so be it. I respect that most Cubs fans are passionate. I respect they've endured some tough moments. And I respect that they don't do the wave in their ballpark. Now here are my gripes. I am amazed how condescending and arrogant and they are. If you're not a Cub, you're scum in their eyes and have no business being in the same zip code. They NEVER credit players from the other team, they just hate their own. And if you root for another team and step into the so-called Friendly Confines, you're treated like the Pope in a brothel. After the game was over, a few fans even screamed at me, "Get the Brewers out of here and get the f'n Mets out of here too." This was with no provocation.

And to hear clowns like Ron Santo complain about how other team's fans only cheer when the scoreboard tells them too. Well, for eight innings, 85 percent of the crowd wasn't even paying attention to the game. Wrigley Field is becoming a cool place to hang out, it's becoming less about the baseball. And the curse. The fans want to blame a goat, a fan, the devil, and who knows what else, maybe they should learn the game of baseball and then they can point their fingers in the right direction.

No comments: