Saturday, May 31, 2008

Blackie's, Work, Play, Pain

I've found myself playing Freecell again. I don't think I had played in 18 months. But after enough baseball video games that were made in 2003, I needed a change. I'm pretty good at the game, but I have one issue. The tag on the game is every game can be won. With some of the hands that I get dealt, I find that a little hard to believe.

There are probably not too many videos of me in existence. We've never owned a camcorder or anything like that. And I'm not a prolific picture taker. But after watching myself at Saturday's party, I have to cringe at myself. It's scary. I seriously hope people will never have the opportunity to see a movie of my life in this age or the next.

Boston Blackie's has killed my appetite for a week. I went there for lunch today and I was so hungry when I walked in, that while I was waiting for the server to return, I found myself asking "Where Are You" out loud to myself! I mean talking to myself and then answering my own questions. Anyway, we ordered a burger each and then a plate of fries/onion rings, aka frings. Little did I know I would walk out more than stuffed. The rings came in what looked like a miniature metal deep fryer which was in the middle of the plate and surrounded by sliced potato chips which tasted like fries. The potatoes were a little cool in temperature, but nicely flavored. The onion strings had great seasoning and were very good dipped in the BBQ sauce. I ordered a Philly burger with American cheese, peppers, onions, and mushrooms, which is fast becoming my favorite style of burger. This thing was a good half pound. There were so many vegetables that when I took a bite, they kept sliding off and onto the plate. Mom ate half of her bleu cheese and mushroom burger and took the rest to go! My big problem with the meal was there was no pickle on the side. I mean Jimmy Buffett himself preaches on it. A good burger must be accompanied by a pickle, not some lame cole slaw! The total was around $26 for 2 burgers, frings, and two drinks. All in all, it was a good value and while I don't rate this high as Ted's, I still think this is a solid burger and a solid restaurant.

Work is undergoing a lot of changes. My boss got promoted. So ED, who has lead the other team in the Health Division is keeping her schools and now leading a few of ours. And DP is back and she'll manage the other team. She was gone four weeks and just like that, she's back in the Health Division. All this takes place June 9. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm thrilled. I like that DP is back, she is excellent to work with. But BB is a leader and I knew he would get promoted at some point. And it's good he will still be in close contact with us. Though I doubt we would be friends out of the office, I certainly respect him and his ability to manage. I don't know if ED has that same ability.

Monday's picnic was fun. Bocce is way better on a hill. I have to figure out why I'm so inept at Apples to Apples. And if only I could skip the mayo...

So much for the Mets' three game winning streak. As great as the beating the Marlins was, the "momentum" has evaporated faster than Elliot Spitzer's career. And Castillo is now injured. But this offense is so frustrating. How many more times do I have to see the Mets get two runners on base with one out and fail to score?

And softball finally starts tomorrow. I am ready.

No comments: