Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A whimper into the night

There are time when I don't really want to blog, but just feel compelled to. Usually, it has something to do with desperation or pure aggravation. In this case, it's the latter. I'd rather be hanging with my friends who actually care like Julie in Wrigleyville or Chris in the loop or Regis in the Bronx who I'm sure are home right now getting wasted. That's where I wish I could be right now without the threat of work tomorrow. Because this is as bad a sports day as I can remember suffering through in a long while.

I know when it comes to my teams, I can be the most obnoxious jerk in the world. I know this. And again that happens. After the Mets beat the Yankees twice this weekend, I was excited again. I was ready for this 4-game series against the Braves. I was ready to watch the Mets slam Tom Glavine in the mouth after the way he screwed them and us fans last September. And Luis Castillo of all people homers in the first inning. 1-0 Mets. Then Glavine allows two hits and a walk so they have the bases loaded with one out. Moises Alou comes up and slams a pitch...right into Larry Jones' glove. Delgado flies out to right, inning over. The Braves immediately tie the score and kept scratching out runs as they game went on. John Maine was just awful, he threw no breaking balls, his change up sailed right over the plate all day, he barely made it through five innings. By the sixth inning, I was paying more attention to a shoot interview on Youtube with legendary wrestling manger Paul Bearer/Percy Pringle.

But the Met offense suddenly looks just as lethargic as they did against Washington and Cincy. Over the final eight innings, they get three hits and no runs. And worst of all, that piece of garbage Glavine, who spit the damn bit when he pitched for the Mets, looks like Sandy Koufax. He allows no hits and no walks over the final five innings he pitched. 6-1 final.

And Game 2. Who the hell is Jorge Campillo? 6 innings, 3 hits, no walks, seven strikeouts? Who the hell is he? Once Jones doubled home Escobar in the first inning, I knew the game was over. Because this team NEVER NEVER NEVER rallies. But I checked back in eventually, just in time to see Duaner Sanchez escape a bases loaded jam in the seventh. So I figured I'd watch the eighth. After the first two outs, Delgado walks, Castro doubles him home. Big deal. Alou pinch hits and single,s bringing the tying run up and now I'm into it. Will this finally be the time? Jose Reyes as always swings at the first pitch. And he actually gets a hit. Now the tying runs are on base. Marlon Anderson grounds out, and that was essentially it. Matt Wise gives up a two-run homer just for good measure in the bottom half. Mets lose 6-2.

They are the Tin Men, they are most of my ex-girlfriends, they have no heart. And that's not even the worst part. Ryan Church is now injured! A concussion, his second in two months! Our best position player is out for God knows how long! Holy Fucking Mackerel!

And then to top that off, we have the NBA draft lottery. Even when the Cubs lose, Chicago sports still stick it up my rear end. I was really into this lottery, I really thought the Knicks would get a Top 2 pick and have the opportunity to get Michael Beasley, or even better, Derrick Rose. So I listened to it on ESPN radio. Everything went according to plan from picks 14-9. Then by record, the next picks 8 and 7 should have been Chicago followed by Charlotte . The guy reads Ch-----arlotte. My jaw dropped in dread and horror. The Bulls were now in the top 3 picks. 7 goes like normal and I then knew the Knicks were either No. 6 or in the top 3. Then came the words. "The sixth pick will belong to...the New York Knicks." I slammed the computer mouse on the desk. Hard. Somehow, it still works. And of all teams, the Bulls wound up picking number one. Great, a young team that is playoff caliber to begin with now adds one of the best young players. I'll get to watch Derrick Rose or Michael Beasley torch the Eastern Conference for 10 years, while the Knicks will draft some seventh or eighth man like OJ Mayo or Brook Lopez. Mike, Donnie, have fun this year. Because as Knicks fans, we sure as hell will not.

So this has been just a horrible, horrible night between the Mets and the Knicks. Some things never change. Should I just start watching European soccer?

OK, I'll try to end this with something decent. To my twin Mike Piazza who retired today. Thank you for the great years and the great moments. We miss you and we appreciate you. Here are my top 5 Piazza moments that I can remember right now, anyway The blonde hair is not one of them.

5) 1997. The Trade From Florida. The Man Arrives.

4) 1998 Three-run bomb with two outs in the ninth inning off Billy Wagner, gave the Mets a 3-2 lead in a game they would win, 4-3, in 11 innings

3) Injured and not starting that night, he hit s a huge homer off Smoltz in Game 6 of the doomed 1999 NLCS.

2) Three-run homer off Terry Mullholland as the Mets rally from 7 runs down to take an 11-8 lead over Atlanta.

1) First baseball game in New York City after 9/11. Down 3-2 in the eighth, he homers to center field. Mets beat Atlanta.

No comments: