Friday, March 12, 2010

Facebook and a few other thoughts

I have a theory. Once you've had filet mignon, you can't go back to baloney. In other words, once you attain a certain status or level, it is hard to go down. Well, not always true judging by what I've been seeing from two or three certain people on Facebook. No matter how hard they try to forget, they can't get the filet out of their mind. It was very rare filet too...

There are some days I really wish Facebook and myspace and message boards did not exist. I like that I can keep abreast of how my friends are doing. I like I can see what old friends have been up to. But for Pete's sake, there is so much crap people put on I have to filter through. And it always comes from the same people. I seriously wish I could delete certain topics off of my live news feeds. And sometimes I want to delete just one news post from a certain person. But the only option I have is to hide everything they ever write in the future. There needs to be some improvements made here. Thank God I can at least hide Star Wars and all these space games. I'm not interested in finding out someone just reached Level 26 and they're calling me out to match it.

And the games they have are so lame. I'm convinced these things are science fair projects made by third-graders. I was looking to play a Yahtzee game and I looked for the one with the most players. I found one with maybe 80,000. Either there are 80,000 geeks with nothing better to do in the world or these crack scientists have figured out how to manipulate the subscriber total. The 1970's style graphics, the slow gameplay, can't play with someone, you have to play first and then let them play. I feel like I'm playing these games alone in a dark closet on a Beta Mac, it's just not efficient.

The other thing is not so much the site as it is one certain kind of user. There are a few people who rarely if ever post. And when they do, which happens maybe once every four months, they feel this strange urge to update the world with everything that has happened in those four months. I have to "open more stories" three times just to find a new name. And I don't know what changes/evolves more: working through Facebook or the financial aid policies I have to learn at work. OK, enough of that.

I'm ready to try out some Bushmill's this weekend. Boomer and Carton's visit to Ireland last weekend have really have me excited about that and I have never drank a sip of Irish whiskey in my life. I guess that interview with the master distiller can do that. Meanwhile, this leg of lamb I'm chewing on right now is outstanding.

Song pick: "Disappointed" Mindy Smith

PS And there are also those who had the filet served up right in front of their face and they never recognized the difference between that and dog crap. And now they'll settle for eating Oscar Meyer pimiento loaf and they'll never get near the good stuff! Shame on you, you had an opportunity, you blew it, you chose your own house and now you deserve to stay in it.

No comments: