Thursday, March 11, 2010

Never Thought I Would See the Day

But my baseball and hockey teams had their seasons end on back to back days in March.

Yesterday afternoon, Mike Francesa said the Mets received good news on Jose Reyes and he should be back to the Mets within a few days. A few more thyroid tests had to come through. But everything looked positive. And I felt pretty good. I figured, he can take some medication and his thyroid will be regulated. We’re in business. Hold on to that though.

I get back from a great night at Feasting and Fellowship. The sausage fest went over very well. Made homemade garlic butter, dumped it on the rolls and them baked them in the oven until they got brown and crisp. Had peppers, onions, fresh mozzarella, the whole nine yards. We had a great lesson on Titus 2 and I left to go home around 10:30.

I settled in the living room and turned on the Rangers-Devils game via DVR. Three times the Devils scored and the Rangers tallied the equalizer, and twice it happened inside of one minute. Then right near the end of the second period, the Devils make it 4-3 and score again inside of a minute for a two-goal lead, chasing the best goalie in the world from the Rangers cage. I knew there was no way the Rangers were tying this game. No way in the world.

Getting tired, I watched the third period at fast forward, four times the speed. Even going that fast, I could tell that they still sucked. This team plays no defense in front of Henrik. They rarely score more than a goal a game. John Tortorella is a horrible coach, I don’t care that he doesn’t have the players he wants. They have completely tuned him out. I am not one to advocate firings, but both Glen Sather and Tortorella need to be eradicated from MSG as soon as this season ends.

And then fast forward to today, Thursday. During the middle of the day, I’m following the Georgetown-Syracuse game. Although the Orange lost their second straight game, I won’t go too crazy over that. The real tournament starts next week.

I click on Metsblog.com and even I did not anticipate this latest train wreck. I saw Mr. Full Autonomy and Peter Greenberg, Jose Reyes’ agent were holding a conference call. All I need to see is Omar Minaya talking to the media about something negative and it equals disaster. Ten minutes later, I click back on the site and my buddy Matt Cerrone is reporting that Reyes is out for 2 to 8 weeks and needs to rest in a way that does not elevate his heart rate. How is that happening? Maybe they should just freeze him at a cryonics lab and let him defrost when and if he’s ready.

Alex Cora, welcome back to the starting lineup.

I’m looking at this realistically. No Reyes or Beltran until June 1? 60 wins. Last place. Sane old treadmill I’ve been running on for 20 years. Can football be far away?

No comments: