Thursday, May 26, 2011

One more round of misery

For the fourth straight time I attend a Mets series on the road, the same outcome ensues. They win the game I do not attend and lose both games that I do attend. My all time record for Mets vs. Cubs at that dump, Wrigley Field, is, I believe, 2-16. More 2 mile walks up north. They are starting to feel like I am walking the green mile.

I had a great time before the first game in Merkle's. Julie and Nick were there along with a few other irregulars. Jason and Norman were neat dudes. Meredith seemed to be pretty cool and I found Kim kind of attractive. She was with Jeff though, they say they're friends. Of course, once again, I was the only suburbanite there. I drank two Great Lakes beers and the owner brought us all grape bombs, grape vodka and Red Bull.

I stumbled my way to my seat, as I best as I remember. The wind turned on once I went inside, it was blowing straight in at 20 MPH. I immediately regretted not wearing a coat. Thanks to some embarrassing defensive Mets miscues, Jon Niese walks, and bloop hits, the Bubs made the score 5-1 in the second inning. As always, I hang around until the top of the sixth and caught the bus back to DeVry University.


But while stewing in the concourse behind home plate, one of the few good things from these two days happened around the third inning. I saw Joe Benigno. I walked up to him and producer Ernie Acosta and thanked them for the entertainment. I mentioned to Joe about all the Jets fans at Rebel during the season. And he goes "Bro, don't even get me started about football. I'm pissed off. Bro, I'm pissed off." I shook his hand again and let him and Ernie go.


Today, I started off with lunch at Hot Doug's. amazingly, I was the first one in line. Did the bacon cheeseburger sausage with Coke BBQ sauce and maple cheddar cheese. It was good stuff, I just don't like cheese inside the sausage. for sausage 2, I went with a three-chili wild boar sausage with chili-garlic mayo, raw milk cheddar spread, and crispy fried onions. First of all, put crispy onions on any food and it instantly tastes delicious. And the two sauces blended well, I just had to wipe off some of the mayo. And I really liked the chili powders inside the boar, I really like the taste of that meat. Fries were hot and fresh as always!

So I parked on Berteau Street around 11:15 am, knowing I had to be back by 5 p.m. to move my car. I walked the two miles in a cold wind, though the rain had let up by this point. I followed Julie and Nick inside Merkle's and there were already a couple of Mets fans inside. We BS'd for almost two hours and it was good, not quite as good as Thursday though. this time, I drank an Allabash from Maine and was given not one, but TWO grape bombs! I wish I had them during the game.

The stands were empty. Maybe 15,000 people, but I know there were rows that were completely empty. Cubs fans are not showing up now, they are no better than the Mets fans who don't go to Citi Field. Jose Reyes scored on a double and two Cubs errors for a 1-0 Mets lead which was great. But with the wind and cold, I really thought R.A. Dickey would have trouble with his knuckleball. And the Cubs got some hits off him. But Fukudome grounded the ball to first and Dickey collapsed while running to cover the bag. And he was done. Pedro Beato came in and retired Starlin Castro to retire the side. Little did I know, everything would go to shit in the next inning. Of course, Carlos Pena had no issues drilling a two-run homer to give Chicago the lead. Two runs later and I knew it was probably over. It was.

The Mets did rally to make it 4-2 when Josh Thole, somehow, dripped an RBI single to left-center. With the tying runs on base, Carlos Beltran struck out, part of his 0-for-5 performance. After the Cubs make it 6-2 the next inning, I was gone. One more horrible series in the freezing confines.

Will bake cakes later.

No comments: