Saturday, May 14, 2011

Opinions, Sterotyping, Tolerance

I am realizing more and more how hard it is to state an opinion if it does not reflect the mass populous of American culture. It doesn't matter if I insult someone or not, jump on someone or not, belittle someone or not. Just having the opinion and expressing it seems to be a horrible act.

Sean Avery, a very controversial New York Ranger who likes to live in the public eye, decided to publicly support the campaign for gay marriage in New York State. He is one of the first pro athletes to take that stand. Now this is not about whether Avery supported the correct side or not; I'm not going to go there. The topic is a very hot button and will probably remain so for a long time. But a lot of my FB friends who are Rangers fans wrote that they support it. Amy did, which I knew she would, since she has a few gay friends in Colorado. A few other people responded favorably to her post. But a few people talked about "antiquated religious views" and ripped the preachers and "Bible belt types" for being oppressive and out of touch.

Since I am a human being and I have a voice, I decided to make mine known. I don't appreciate being stereotyped at all. So I wrote that and I also said I supported the sports agent who tweeted that he disagreed with Avery's stance. I expected a little criticism, but I was hoping my thoughts would at least be respected. And I get ripped. I got this long diatribe from my friend saying things like "I know gay couples who are doing better than straight couples" and "If I jumped on you every time I disagreed with something you wrote, you would hear from me a lot."

I wrote back and said I didn't intend to jump on anyone and I never insulted anyone. But I felt I had been insulted along with all people who believe what I believe. Now by contrast, I don't assume that all atheists/agnostics are evil people. I believe they are just wrong. By the way, not every religion can be correct! And about Point #1, I'm sure there are alcoholics who are happier than sober, depressed people. That doesn't make getting drunk on a frequent basis a good idea.

That brings me to the issue of tolerance. American culture teaches us to tolerate everybody and what they believe. The idea is that society will grant each individual the opportunity to experience life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness without the burdens imposed by bias, discrimination or societal condemnation. Supposedly, eliminating these barriers will result in the advancement of mankind, both personally and communally. We will be happy, healthy, and live in peace and harmony.

The problem with the religion of tolerance is that, by definition, the boundaries of society become blurred and ambiguous; there can be no absolute truth. Rules once applicable to everyone now apply to no one. Topics once thought taboo are open for exploration in the name of tolerance.

Here's what I want my friends who disagree with me to know. As a Christian, I believe I am to love all people (yes it's hard), but just because I disagree with someone doesn't mean I hate them. And I certainly won't give into the messages this culture bombards me with just to avoid arguments.

So many people want to be friends of the world. Sure, there are numerous benefits to be attained by being of the world. I can attain pleasure, wealth, power and glory if I'm willing to play the game. But make no mistake about it, being of the world makes me an enemy of God.

So many people choose to believe that entrance into heaven is based on works, i.e. whether they are “good” or not. The good in their minds is a good based upon the perception of good acts outweighing bad acts. There are also a number of people who adhere to the idea of tolerance and the belief that tolerance is a universal concept that applies today and in the future.

I know this: God crated the world and he created human beings. His laws do not change over time. God is loving, kind and merciful. Throughout the Bible, God demonstrates patience, love, and care for mankind, desiring that none of us perish, but that we would all be saved through grace and sacrifice of Jesus Christ. However, God has another side. He is also holy, righteous and just. There will be a judgment. And God won't be so tolerant then. That judgment will be final and we won't be able to appeal. And despite what one may hope for, tolerating everything will not be a factor.

No comments: