Monday, February 06, 2012

Lonely Sunday

1) That was the worst football season ever. I can't remember the last Sunday when I didn't shower, change clothes, or go anywhere. The wings weren't that great. I watched 2 Super Bowl plays and dealt with the rude, disrespectful Giants fans all week. And I thought it was over. I thought I was over it. I thought I was content with seeing Tom Brady and Bill Belichick lose again. Schmiedeberg's Wal-Mart photo today showed that wasn't the case.

2) Living room stickball. 33 innings. Playing till 1 AM. With 3 guys. All younger. All over 300 pounds. What a life...

3) I am officially a fan of Burt's pizza. It was a total dive and Mom and I drive an hour through the snow during Friday's rush hour traffic to get there. It's just one tiny room with lots of old clocks and radios for decorations. We were seated by the door and I saw the staff turn away at least five parties because they hadn't called ahead to place their order. I thank them for serving Scrimshaw beer. I'd never had it before, but I made sure to pick up a 6-pack at Binny's the next day. Great California Pilsner. Our salad was pretty basic, came with a zesty vinigarette.

4) I'll save a separate number just for the pizza. As promised to me, it came out in the pan promptly at 6:30. 18 inches with homemade sausage, mixed bell peppers, mushrooms, and chopped onions. The tomato sauce tasted very bold. There was not much mozzarella cheese on this one, I didn't really mind though. And the pizza came nicely seasoned with parmesan and oregano. So the veggies tasted very fresh and I like the large chunks of Italian sausage too. I would definitely return.

5) And the extra bonus was it turns out the owner also worked at The Inferno in Evanston. And that's where mom used to eat pizza every single week while she was in college. And although we've been living in Chicago since 1997, this was the first time she got to experience that taste again. I think that's just really cool for her.

6) Catherine goes to two straight Rangers games, including another one in Philly, and both were wins. I love her, but I feel I'm missing her life. I just don't know how to think about it all.

7) Jeremy Lin. Amazing. I love this guy. Just an amazing story. And the fact that he is an Asian-American Christian just makes it even better.

8) I rented two books on sports psychology. I was hoping it would talk about the careers. But at first glance, it looks this is targeted to athletes. If it is, I'll send copies to Mike Pelfrey and Mark Sanchez.

9) I feel so alone at times.

10) Mom's gone Friday-Tuesday to Washington DC. And then she's home for three days before leaving on a week-long tour to Destin, FL.

11) Feasting and Fellowship: September 2009-February 2012. Rest in Peace.

Song pick: "The Window Up Above" George Jones

No comments: