Saturday, March 10, 2012

The most disappointing Friday ever

I just don't know what to say anymore. After such a good Thursday, I did not see such a slow, frustrating day coming. I'll recap, just to let out my aggravation, but I am under the influence of Brooklyn Pilsner and a bit of Firefly. So this will include random ramblings.

I woke up at 6:30 and left 8 to catch the train to West Chicago. That's about all that went smoothly. I was going to take the green line from Clinton to State/Lake and then take the red line north. But, feeling a little too macho, I decided to walk it. It took an hour. The girls were already stalking Hawks at the United Center. And they walked all the way down Madison which was just dumb. I had to guide them to get on the subway at Washington/Wells to State/Lake to Lake to Chicago at the red line. For a while, I was just hanging at the Park Hyatt because I heard a rumor the Rangers were staying there. They weren't, but at least I got to charge my phone.

So I met up with the ladies and we wound up standing in front of some hotel for three hours waiting for the players to show up. And indeed, a few of them did. But my idea of fun is not standing outside in 25 degree weather and heavy wind in the shade and not moving waiting to have cards signed by hockey players. So I took off and went into the Starbucks about 3 blocks away. I wanted to get away and warm up! I ordered a caramel apple cider with extra cinnamon and killed about 90 minutes. I may as well have been sitting in there for the entire weekend. I also ventured inside the Apple store and pretended to look like I knew what their different gadgets actually did.

Finally, we met back up and headed back to the room. Must have been 3 pm already. I gave Catherine a long back massage, maybe 30 minutes or so. Then we headed to Gino's East and Q met us there. We enjoyed a large half cheese/half spinach deep dish pizza although the ladies could only handle one slice each. Catherine was feeling really cold, I tried to warm her up by holding her, but...well, I tried.

The we left for the game. At warm-ups, I saw Kristen and gave her a huge hug. I also met this gorgeous girl from Indiana named Jessica who is a Hawks fan, but likes the Rangers. She had on Blackhawk shoes, Blackhawk earrings, a Blackhawk t-shirt, and a Rangers Michael Del Zotto jersey. I'm convinced she's Catherine's distant cousin! Damn, she was soooo cute. And i was getting excited about watching warmups from such a good viewpoint. I was so ready to see up close the Rangers players walk through the tunnel and step onto the ice. Then, the guy whose seat I was standing in front of showed up and I had to go. Literally two minutes before the start of warmups. And my ass gets tossed out. Just me, nobody else. I was so freaking pissed off. And, in truth, I still am. I feel like such an outcast.

I could not shake my anger and disgust. I didn't even applaud or make noise for Jim Cornelison's anthem. I never thought that day would ever come. And then the Rangers take two 1-goal leads, including 1 with 8 minutes left and of course, Chicago scores three straight after that. 4-3 final, after a meaningless Richards goal. I took off at 3-2, I couldn't bear to see the f'n Blackhawks celebrate. So the Rangers have lost three straight game now. Pittsburgh can't lose, and I'm convinced this team is going to lose in the first round of the playoffs.

I did get to meet Chris Frenzel, who is a very cool dude and i got to see Kristen Frendak again, which was great. Thought I saw Jackie "The Traitor " Lomba. Wanted to yell at her, but not worth it. Not worth my time, my voice, or my energy.

Took an express train home. Got in around midnight. Drank some Firefly sweet tea vodka and lemonade to end a sad day. I did chat with Katie a little. She really seems like a smart girl. I think she and I can be solid friends. The vodka is really kicking in now...

Damn these Rangers! I hate how they keep letting me down! Same with all these teams. And I will say it again, no matter what. Any idiot who uses the phrase "It's just a game" falls into one of two categories. Either they have no team that they invest their heart, their soul, and their emotions into or they have seen their teams win on a regular basis. I would like to meet one diehard Cleveland sports fan who truly in his heart believes that "it's just a game." Because one like that simply does not exist.

I'm not saying it's right or it's rational, it just is what it is.

No comments: