Thursday, July 05, 2012

Fireworks on the 4th

I spent the 4th in oppressive heat in Itasca on a big grass field near the Westin hotel with the Willow Creek group. It was a long time coming, I hadn't been there in maybe 11 years when I went with my mom and ex-stepdad for David Crosby and CPR.

1) Five people in Matt's truck, me, Matt, Luke, Natalie, Melissa. One word: Entertainment.

2) The Natalie Raver GPS="OK, at the traffic light, you either turn left or right, but don't go straight." That really narrows it down...

3) Great job by Leinenkugel selling the 12 can variety pack. Three summer shanties, sunset wheats, berry weisses and honey weisses. I'm glad I saw it and had no problem buying it for the group.

4) 10 inch chargrilled Italian sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions. Stellar! I didn't realize it would lead to so many jokes about my ten inches...

5) I also had no idea my chair would be so popular. Just a maroon lawn chair with a cup holder and a footrest. At least eight different people besides me must have sat in it. Including Luke, who passed out drunk in it. He must have been in dreamland for at least two hours.

6) Let's see who was there besides the aforementioned five...Joe (shaven), Mario (and his red wine), Olga (doesn't care to dance), Manish (eventually), Heidi (very cool girl), Dave (he actually recognized me this time), Jolene (didn't have a chance to catch up with her), Kristin (back rubs, dancing, and no beer). And there were an awful lot of 40's and 50's folks I didn't know too.

7) 7th Heaven is a pretty good band, I really got into it when they busted out some cover songs. Everything from Stayin' Alive to Sir Duke to Livin' On a Prayer to American Girl.

8) The fireworks show was amazing. I never really remember fireworks long after they happen, but I'll remember sitting in a chair with a big smile on my face and clapping.

9) Luke apparently needed food after his drinking escapade. So after finally getting out of Hamilton Lakes around 11, we drive around looking for any open restaurant. Popeye's, Burger King, KFC, all closed. All we found was McDonald's. So we went to the drive thru. It took 30 minutes to get through the whole line. This is between 11:15 and 11:45 on a Wednesday! My head was pounding from fatigue and I just wanted to get back in my car. We wound up getting back to Melissa's around midnight and I arrived home at 12:45 or so.

10) Jean. Met her for the first time yesterday. She was really easy to talk to, our conversation must have lasted two hours. We even shared a dance or two. Free Fallin, Don't Stop Believing, and It's Still Rock n Roll To Me; I have a new appreciation for all three of those songs now. I have a feeling I may see her again.

No comments: