Monday, July 23, 2012

Not exactly humming along...

Well, the softball team is now 1-7; I guess that's what happens when we get promoted to the competitive league. And in many of these games, we've been getting beat by ten runs. But this game against New Covenant, that was a loss I could at least swallow.

First of all, we were missing our shortstop, left center fielder, and our top two pitchers. So we called on several replacements, some of whom had not played in a single game all season. Alex was there, we had Brian who I used to play with to patrol LCF. Pink 'n tan George showed up and gave us a hand at catcher. Grant returned as well, which instantly depleted our right field defense. Good speaker, good guy, pretty good hitter, but the guy can't catch a cold in the North Pole.

But two things doomed us. Again, we played with three outfielders while our opponents had four. We held up ok, but they knocked two or three shots in between Brian and Grant that led to triples or home runs. The same thing cost us in a 7-3 loss to Redeemer Fellowship last week. But the biggest problem was pitching. With Darren and Eric out, Ken tried his hand at pitching. He walked one guy after another and when that's going on, you're not gonna have a lot of efficient innings, even if you have the best defense in the world behind you. Ken pitched six innings and allowed at least two runs in all but one inning.

As for me, I played my best game. I batted 4-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBI. Two weeks prior, I dropped from a 28-ounce bat to a 26-ounce bat and today I really started to see the results. I roped one line drive after another. I also made three catches in the field and my throws sailed straight on course. But maybe my signature play came on a shallow pop behind third base. I made a face first dive and the ball popped out of my glove and I rolled right on my head. But I knew the ball had gone to my left, so I popped back up, grabbed the ball, and fired it to Alex at second base just in time to nab the runner who was going for a double. I can still feel the tightness in my neck when I look straight up!

At the end, we lost 15-9, and I think we would have won it if Darren was on the mound. We left the bases loaded twice including in the seventh inning. Even worse, was the three called third strikes against us, which to me there is simply not an excuse for. I'm all for plate discipline and trying to work out a walk. But at least try to swing the bat.

I don't know what's going to happen from here. We do have three more games and I just hope we get a shot in the playoffs. I think we can win some games, if we have our full lineup and optimum defensive team (Waldrop at short, Ken at catcher, Tom out of the outfield, etc.). But through the heat, the leg aches, and the errors, I'm gonna keep going as hard as I can. I know no other way to play.

No comments: