Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Michigan Retreat 2012 Part 1

I've put off doing these posts for two weeks. So I'll do it shorthand form and see how that comes out. I just feel like switching it up.

I left home around 9 am and made it to Luke's home in southeast Naperville around 9:45...had trouble finding his house, I passed by Andrea...I found 1300 and walked in...it wasn't Luke's house...it belonged to an old guy with a dark gray beard...wanted to sell us his house, like she and I were a couple or something...that'll be the day...eventually we figured it out...Mike arrived around 10:30...we packed Luke's Jeep as tight as it could be...we left at 10:45.

Andrea bought along a bag of Trader Joe's pistachios....pretty solid snack...Was a little nervous talking to her...we played the game of Never...Luke napped and woke up an hour later...immediately, we took pictures in front of the castle at the Dutch Village in Holland...Mike's unhealthy obsession with Michigan blueberries...lunch at Panera outside Muskegon...my job was to be the navigator...6.5 hour drive total...got into Glen Arbor around 6:30...same time as Jason and Melissa...Jason has a baby-sized baby blue BMW convertible.

There's one condo for the six guys, one for the four girls/married couple who was coming later...very little space in our condo...six guys, 1 bathroom, 1 bedroom, 1 sofa...unpacked and went to Downtown Glen Arbor...Dinner at Boone Dock's...brown sugar walnut salmon...good, but too sweet....bland wild rice...added the tartar sauce, just to give it some flavor...$30...On TV, White Sox were playing the Tigers in a huge series...it was strange hearing the crowd cheer for Detroit.

While were were at dinner, Manish, Clarissa, Fil, and Natalie arrived...we all shared a few drinks at our place...I stayed with Stella and Budweiser...girls condo had the jacuzzi and more modern furniture...we had the flat screen TV and an actual kitchen...we had an oven, they just had a microwave, a two-burner range, and the refrigerator was about the size of a hotel mini-bar...watched "The Fall"...one weird, crazy movie...Mike's commentary...great cinematography...Clarissa falls asleep on couch, her head resting on Manish's lap...Manish's head is bent straight back...gave us a full view of his Adam's Apple...great photo-op...I slept alone on pullout couch...Fil slept on cot in entry way...Mike and Manish in bed...Luke and Jason on the porch.

Fil was in charge of breakfast...Alton Brown's "Overnight cinnamon rolls"...two different grits, one with parmesan and one with brown sugar...Eggs...bacon...turkey bacon...orange juice with or without pulp...kayaking...rocking quadruple chair...ping pong with Mike...mini basketball with a ball that had no air in it...me and Fil in a double...$20 each...portaged four times...usually we were in the lead...very shallow river...stuck in the sand so many times...Manish and Natalie kept tipping over into the river...round gray metal tunnel...we were supposed to portage, but we went for it and loved it...it was so cool, we decided to portage the kayak back to the previous spot and paddle down again...I caught this one on video...Manish was now in a solo kayak...he wound up sideways, or perpendicular to the path of the tunnel...he flipped over and the boat slid upside down straight down the tunnel...Manish followed soon after...it was hysterical and scary at the same time...his elbow and knee got bruised up, but he was fine...three hour ride...Luke attached his kayak to Natalie's with a life jacket.

When we returned, we saw that Bill and Laina arrived...lunch time...Clarissa, Melissa, and Jason left to go get their gear for scuba diving...the rest of us went to the dunes...visitors center in Empire...I rode with Bill, Lainia, and Mike...Laina asked Manish and I if Luke was gay...fashion photographer, bright shirt, weird accent...she was so embarrassed, because she felt he was judging him...But Luke is so easy to make fun of, we loved it...we did not let her live that down for at least the next half hour...the guy is such an egotist and it really bothers us...

Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive at Sleeping Bear Dunes...Lake Michigan overlook...the highest point at Lake Michigan...looking straight down into some of the bluest water imaginable...I've been all over this country, but this view was just phenomenal...Dune climb...Luke, Manish, and I climbed up and almost made it to the other side of the shore...very tiring...I did a hard sprint down past the rest of the group, including a face-first tumble...ride in Jason's convertible with Mike driving, Natalie in the passenger seat, and Andrea next to me...her spiral curled blonder hair blew in my face...sweetly stinging my cheek...she looked so gorgeous with her hair flopping in the warm Michigan wind...Luke had been sitting on top of the car, snapping photos....so I did the same...we got in around 7...I was completely covered with sand, especially my hair and back... I finally took my first shower of the trip...had that beginning of a sunburn stiff feel to my face and shoulders.

Got Catherine's idiotic texts about the Yankees struggles against Baltimore...they always win anyway and that's why it's so ridiculous when I see Yankee fans whining over one regular season game...8 pm, we had to decide...dinner or winery...feeling brutally trapped in this relationship...and I don't want to care about these things that should be insignificant, even though I know I do...I went outside just for some quiet time...just needed some alone time...Melissa and Natalie joined me...Melissa broke the news that she and Matt weren't dating anymore...I never saw it coming...I think they made it three days longer than the deserter and I did...I said I was sorry and I genuinely was...Natalie may have drank too much...wineries were all closed.

Back to Boone Docks...Queen of Couture boutique...I took Andrea's photo in front of the sign....30 minute wait outside for the 12 of us...went into the candy store...out of blueberry vanilla ice cream...the buzzer went off, signaling that our table was ready...I went to find Natalie and Melissa...I found them and we began walking back towards the restaurant...pinky swear I wouldn't tell...that wouldn't be hard, I didn't know anything anyway!...cougar walks right by the three of us...she looked right at me and in a very seductive and flirtatious way, she looked right at me and said "Bye!"...Sounded more like "Ba-hai"...maybe it was a drunk "Hi!"...who knows...sat right near the bluegrass band...each member must have been at least 70 years old..."Boris The Spider"..."Margheritaville"...chicken fingers and Boone docks salad with dried cherries and walnuts...I like contrast of the sweet local cherries and the crunch of the nuts...24 oz Oberon beer tasted perfect...fingers were nice sized...decent breading...mild BBQ sauce...so mild, i would call it wimpy...opted for the honey mustard...$30 again...Clarissa sings "I'll Fly Away" with the band...watched college football on the TV...Alabama slaughtered Michigan...we went back home and we were all basically exhausted...watched Eddie Izzard stand-up on X-Box...English cross-dresser...a little more religious humor than I cared to hear...I think I laughed twice in 45 minutes...went to bed.

No comments: