Saturday, October 27, 2012

Heavy recap-Last weekend

1) So last Friday afternoon, around 5:15, I’m halfway through with my drive home from work. I was planning on going to Wal-Mart and Jewel Osco and then the gym before heading home for the night. All of a sudden, Natalie Cuevas sends me a text, asking me if I had any plans. Eventually, she asked me to go see a play with her that night. She told me she was getting out of work at 8 and the play started at 8:30. All of a sudden, I realized I was in a hurry. So I sped home, worked out on the total gym, cooked the lamb chops, baked potatoes, and asparagus, dressed, and got out the door as fast as I could. I drove 45 minutes north to her house in Algonquin. Domino was there to greet me Then I drove us 55 minutes south to the Drury Lane Theater in Oak Brook. And the show we saw along with her mother and her mother’s friend was Xanadu. Now the only Xanadu I knew of was the unfinished ski jump at the Meadowlands. This was one of the corniest shows I have ever seen. There were a few funny moments, but between all the disco, leg warmers, feminine colors, etc., yeah, I don’t think I’d spend money to watch this. I drove Natalie back north to Algonquin before heading back home to St. Charles, arriving a little after midnight. All in all, I drove four hours that day. I wouldn’t change it though.

2a) On Saturday, Mom and I planned on checking out Starved Rock State Park. But we slept a little later than we planned, so instead, we headed over to the Mayflower tours office in Downers Grove so she could get some photocopying done for her upcoming tours. The we grabbed lunch at J. Alexander’s, a place I’d heard of, but never been to before. We started by splitting the redwood salad, which came with field greens, rotisserie chicken, pecans, avocado, tomatoes, bacon, cheese, and croutons. I never eat croutons. Ever. But these weren't the typical crouton that's brick-hard and crispy all the way through. Rather, these chewy, and spongy, and tender. I was amazed how good they were. The chicken was cold and juicy. The crunch of the pecans and bacon worked great with the creaminess of the avocado as well. Instead of ranch, I got the champagne vinaigrette, and it tasted light and citrusy. For $15, that was a very good salad.

2b) The NY strip steak tacos were one of the items on the specialty menu. I hesitated to order them since they cost $15 and we would only be able to have one taco apiece. Well, I wish I had kept the order to myself. The adobo-spiced strip was grilled to a perfect medium-rare. They came in soft flour tortillas topped with a cilantro-sour cream sauce and chopped pico de gallo. It couldn't have been a much better taco. I don't know if these will remain a part of the menu, but if they are, I'd really recommend them.

2c) We also split a French dip sandwich with French fries. I'm usually not a French dip fan, but I heard their prime rib was really good so I figured I'd try it out. And mounds of pink roasted beef came on a French baguette. We also got sides of jus and horseradish sauce. The beef was incredibly juicy, and the horseradish, gave the sandwich just the right amount of kick. But...it was $18. For a French dip. Very good restaurant, not the most reasonable prices, but the quality of food is very, very good.

3) After lunch, Mom and I headed over to Von Maur in Oak Brook, where she had to return a few items. I really didn’t think I was ever going to buy anything there. But I checked out the sale rack and I wound up purchasing two shirts for around $85. One was a chocolate brown silk t-shirt. The other was a very nice plaid, orange, black, and white long-sleeve, button-down short that I could wear to church or work.

4) Then we drove back to the Charlestowne Mall. We went to see Taken 2, but as I we were walking in, right outside the box office, I saw this stand set up with tons of sports memorabilia. Banners, cards, pictures, pennants, etc. I wound up buying four pictures (Gary Carter, Mike Piazza, Mark Sanchez, Brian Leetch) for $18. As for the movie, even though the critics bashed it, I thought it was pretty solid for a sequel.

5) I only had about an hour to spend at home and charge my phone before I had to head out Singles Connect Night at Willow Creek. This was the first one I’d been able to attend this season, since I missed the first while I was in Baltimore. I saw Christina and Lib and for the first time since last May. Mike spoke about walking the talk. After we went downstairs for discussions, I was a little surprised that I got to be a table leader. At our table, we had five first-timers, one guy who was there for the second time, and me. Afterwards, we decided between Mario’s dance birthday party in Addison or Pinstripes. I chose Pinstripes and arrived first. For a while, there was just me, this pain in the neck named Pete and two girls, Heather Anne (the vegan priest) and Megan (the cute bilingual teacher in West Chicago) Eventually, about 15 people showed up. I ordered an Italian beef pizza and loved it. Braised beef, giardienira, mozzarella, tomatoes. Amazing.

6) I woke up around 8 on Sunday and hit the gym, which I almost never do on Sunday morning. Then I went to the late service at Willow Creek. I sat with Mike, Lindsay, Natasha, and Natalie. Then before small group, I headed over to Jersey’s to watch the early football games and eat a lousy chicken sandwich. Andrea, Manish, Alison, Natalie R, Natasha, Fil, Matt, and I all showed up as we went through Hebrews 6 and 7. Hey, if a 2:30 start is what it takes for people to come, I guess that is what has to happen.

7) I’ll skip the Jets disgrace in New England on Sunday.

No comments: