Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Late Wednesday ponderings

1) I cannot go through the rest of my life with someone who will have victories and accomplishments to celebrate every year while I get mentally twisted and tortured. I’m trying to reduce the presence of sport in my life and in this situation I’ve been in for 18 months, it’s only going up and up.

2) I met a neat girl last Sunday at small group and we’ve had several conversations since. Including the one outside JT’s last Friday where we chatted about almost everything under the sun (including sex) for almost three hours. We get along really well. Next thing I know, I get a phone call from Matt P basically saying I need to watch my step. Because he’s going to ask her out for Halloween. He’s all but decided she’s going to be his next girlfriend. I wonder if she feels the same. I mean, can I really know within a week of knowing somebody that I want to ask them out? I would have said no, but then again, the deserter is a clear exception to that. One thing’s for sure, I don’t want to lose a good friend over a girl.

3) I’m listening to the first Presidential debate as I write this. I’m right wing on many issues, but I haven’t really invested my vote in Mitt Romney. I will probably pay more attention than I used to and get a really good feel for who I will vote for come November.

4) Amazing choke job by the American Ryder Cup team. And watching Phil Mickelson smile as Justin Rose rallied against him on Sunday made me absolutely sick. Hey Phil, how about showing a little competitive spirit like you did when you dominated with Keegan Bradley during the Friday and Saturday sessions?! Yes, I would have liked to have gone to Medinah to witness it first-hand. But at $250 a ticket, I don’t think that would have been worth it, especially when I can only watch one hole at a time.

5) Lucky’s doesn’t have the greatest food in the world. But after watching the Jets get bludgeoned, it’s a great way to ease the symptoms of pure depression. Several slices of capicola, fried egg, provolone cheese, fresh French fries, oil and vinegar cole slaw, and tomato slices on thick cut Italian bread. And the Breckenridge Agave Wheat draft beer from Denver turned out to be a stellar compliment to a very hearty sandwich.

6) I really enjoyed watching the Zac Brown Band in Tinley Park. It was a much more visual show than I anticipated with lots of lights and several smaller screens. And my God, those guys can play! I’d say “Colder Weather” and “Whiskey’s Gone” were my favorite songs to hear live. I even snuck in tiny bottles of Jack Daniels and Bacardi into the show and drank most of them. And considering a Coke would have cost me $9.00, I’d say it was a risk well worth taking.

7) But getting out of the First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre was one of the absolute worst traffic jams I have ever been in that did not involve bad weather. I got in my car at 11:15 and I-80 West was only about two or three miles away. It took me no less than 45 minutes to drive those two or three miles. I did not get home until 1 AM and I only got 4 hours of sleep before waking up at 6 for work on Monday morning.

8) Looks like I’m going to Toby Keith’s I Love this Bar and Grill on Saturday afternoon after I pick up Mom at O’Hare. But I’m picking her up at 3:40. I really wonder how lively the place will be at 4 pm on a Saturday afternoon…I’m guessing I will see a lot more families than eye candy.

9) Adam the Jew is starting to wear on me. He has a very biting sense of humor and I can deal with that. I’m from New York, I have a sarcastic side to me, no question about it. But when that’s 95 percent of his communication, I really wonder if to him, I’m more of a friend or a punching bag.

10) 2.5 days to go till the Wheaton Academy Alumni and Friends 5k. I ran 2.25 miles on the treadmill today at 6.7 mph with an 0.5 upgrade. I have to say, my legs I didn’t feel too great after I was done. I think I’m going to pass on running Thursday night and do some light weights and maybe some time on the exercise bike. On April 21, I finished my first 5k in 28:45. I’m not sure what a realistic goal time is, but I definitely think I can break 27 minutes.

11) My biggest concern about the 5k is the possibility of a shower on Saturday. Because I have this suspicion that without a running track at my old high school, we’ll be running on the Prairie Path, which is dirt. The idea of running through mud would not be an ideal situation to run over three miles in. But I have my music playlist ready to go. I do wonder if I’ll see anyone I knew in high school though, who really knows how this morning will go.

No comments: