Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Detox-Part 1

So a few weeks ago,  mother decided to do this 10-day detox. No meat, which for me is hard enough. Not to mention, no crustaceans or farm-raised fish .But I'm also trying to eliminate most animal products such as butter and cheese. But I may have a few egg whites. For drinks,  I won't have any alcohol for ten days or black tea, which I drink several days a week. Plus, she can't have yogurt or coffee, which are her two staples in the morning. So for me, it's a ton more produce. I try to eat it, except it's inconvenient, expensive, and we don't exactly get the best stuff in Illinois, especially in the middle of winter. This isn't going to be easy for me, especially come Super Bowl Sunday, but I figured I would give this a shot and see what happens. I'm going to track all ten days with what I eat and how I'm feeling throughout the process.

Day 1
I woke up in New York City and after having pasta, braciole, and red wine the night before, I realized I had better savor that food. I'm not gonna be eating anything like it for ten days. I drank a 15-ounce green machine Naked juice, which I drink pretty often, so that was no problem.

For lunch, I finished the second half of a peanut butter FitCrunch bar. Since I still had a little 1 percent milk left, I mixed that with soy milk. I have to say I really enjoyed the taste. I also have almond milk in the fridge and I'm excited to try that for the first time. After running 4 miles at the gym, I came home and had a salmon filet with some leftover mushroom risotto and grilled bell peppers. Pretty satisfying, though I was hungry two hours later. I ate a honey bell (hybrid of a tangerine and grapefruit) and that took care of me for the night.

Day 2
Breakfast was a swig of green machine juice, which I imagine will become a habit. I did also ahve a honey wheat English muffin with some peanut butter. I'm going to try to limit the peanut butter, but it'll be tough to eliminate it, especially since I'm avoiding meat. Lunch at work was ratatouille, which was a homemade mix of tomatoes, eggplant, onions, zucchini, and mushrooms. I didn't bring any bread and obviously I had no meat with it. I had never had it, but I enjoyed the taste and would eat it again. Unfortunately, some good crusty bread would have really come in handy! As it was, I ate a couple handfuls of sweet potato pop chips. Since these aren't fried, I think I can have a few of these in small doses.

I skipped the gym since I had some homework to finish on the last night of my third grad class. By the time I got home six hours after lunch, I was more than ready to eat. I waited for mom to get home from Mariano's grocery store, but the waiting wasn't going so well for me. I took out a piece of whole wheat bread, spread a generous portion of almond butter on top, and wolfed it down. I wound up having two pieces of mahi mahi that I baked in parchment paper with a slice of tomato and some zucchini. Sure, it tasted light enough, but it more flavor, like some olive oil or lemon juice. Something to marry the flavors together. Along with that, we had some green beans which we topped with salt, pepper, and some balsamic vinaigrette. Not too bad. Then, there was some lousy deli salad with chickpeas and garbanzo beans that I would rather not touch again. The only other thing I had the rest of the day was a handful of popcorn.

As Day 2 is coming to an end, my stomach feels a little empty, so I'm just trying to be strong. I'm pretty sure I can get through this right now.  I don't feel much different yet in terms of energy or that kind of thing; I'm guessing that will take some more time. By the way, I weighed myself on Day 1 when I went to the gym. I weighed 169.6 pounds. Let's see if that changes.

No comments: