Thursday, January 30, 2014

A few corrections...and being a neighbor

Think I'm gonna break up the detox posts right now. Sort of a commercial break.

1) I'm glad to see the article on my blog was posted today. However, I need to make two important key corrections. While I respect the Blackhawks, when it comes to hockey, I am a New York Rangers fan and anyone who knows me will vouch for this. Second, I have lived in St, Charles for 10.5 years, not 16 as the article said. I moved to Chicagoland for the first time in 1997 and I was living in Wheaton and Winfield.

2) Ok, one food note. My dad sent me a text today. He didn't know about my diet. He probably would have said something about how I didn't need to do it. But he loves his hot dogs and fried chicken. And he told me on Super Bowl Sunday, if I buy 20 pieces of chicken, I get 10 free. This is definitely not the time to get that text.

3) So I have a dilemma for Valentine's Day night. I could go to a single's masquerade ball at a bowling alley in Hoffman Estates or I could go by myself to see the Marshall Tucker Band in Bolingbrook. I'm not too sure how I'm going to decide this one.

4) Speaking of music, I've been waiting ten years for this. Barry Gibb will be going on tour in the United States in 2014. He'll be performing in Chicago at the United Center in late May. There is no way I'm going to miss this concert!

5) I downloaded John Ortberg's 3-part series about being good neighbors. As I guessed, the opening music was the theme from Mr. Rogers. It's funny no matter how old we get, those corny, yet happy words can still make us smile. Anyway, he stressed the importance of loving our neighbor. It wasn't just a suggestion that Jesus made, it was a command. It went right along side with loving God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. Also, I liked that he actually challenged members of his church to get out and meet neighbors. In the programs, he had pre-drawn diagrams of several houses for each attender and had them write the names of their neighbors in those houses. That is so important. Too many times we can hear a good message or sermon and after it's over, we think to ourselves, "Well, that was nice. On with my day." If we don't apply it to our thinking and actions, then what was the point of listening to it? Faith without deeds truly is dead.

No comments: