Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Sports recap

1) So we are two weeks away from the Super Bowl. No doubt, the two best teams in the game, Seattle and Denver, are playing in Met Life Stadium. Bottom line: I can go to a Super Bowl party without being afraid of watching New England win.

I looked back at my NFL predictions to see how I did. In the AFC, I got 4 of the 6 playoff teams correct, and Pittsburgh very nearly made it 5. I'm glad I picked Kansas City to rise up and win a wild card; they did just that. But I actually though Houston would be the number one seed. Not just a playoff team. Not just a division winner. But the number one seed in the whole AFC. And they wound up with the worst record in football. I picked them to beat New England in the AFC title game, so at least I had the loser of that game right.

In the NFC, I correctly picked Seattle to win the conference. They were the best team all year and they proved it. I had them beating Green Bay in the NFC title game and the Packers were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. Then again, if Aaron Rodgers hadn't been injured for 6 weeks, they would have had a better record and would have avoided playing San Francisco. I also picked 4 of the 6 NFC playoff teams correctly. I didn't believe in Carolina and I believed in Atlanta and the Giants. But I was correct that New Orleans would come back and make the playoffs.

As for the Jets, I thought they could win 7 games, but I went conservative and picked them to win 6. They surprised me, they won 8.

2) The Knicks stink. Outside of Carmelo Anthony, they are deplorable. Mike Woodson needs to be fired as coach. Players like Melo and Tyson Chandler are questioning his defensive strategies to the media. That tells me that he has lost the locker room. The guard play has been the biggest disappointment to me though. Iman Shumpert has regressed. Raymond Felton has regressed so much he's traveling back in time. Tim Hardaway Jr is a good rookie, I think he can be a fine player. But there is just no ball movement and not enough toughness.

3) I'm going to see the Rangers play an outdoor game in Yankee Stadium against the New Jersey Devils on Sunday afternoon. This is going to be a special event. I still haven't decided how to dress for the cold. I'm pretty sure I'll need to wear a winter jacket. I hope I can fit one of my old Rangers jerseys over the jacket. Technically, this is a Devils home game, but amongst the 50,000 who will be in attendance, I'll be interested to see which team has more fans in the seats.

4) I like the Mets signing SP John Lannan to a minor league contract. Between him, Wheeler, Niese, Gee, Mejia, and Colon, they have some very good depth in that starting rotation. That's with Matt Harvey injured for the season and leaving out Noah Syndergaard who will likely enter the majors around June or July. It doesn't look like Ike Davis will be traded, now that Milwaukee has signed Lyle Overbay to play first base. Fine by me. I'm willing to give Davis one more season.I wish Lucas Duda could be traded out of here, I really think he is useless. He is like Ike, except he plays worse defense. And Stephen Drew is still on the market. I would happily take him in the lineup to play shortstop over Ruben Tejada, who I have all but given up on.

I'll write a deeper preview of the Mets in the coming months, but I'll say this for now. I hope they can settle on a leadoff hitter. I wouldn't mind Eric Young Jr, except it's hard to see where he fits in this lineup. Chris Young? He has done it before, but strikes out about as often as Davis and Duda. If they could settle that spot, I'd have more confidence in that lineup.

5) Finally, I'm not ashamed to say this. I watched the two-part documentary of Vince Lombardi on NFL Network. I admit it. I cried.

No comments: