Wednesday, April 12, 2017

A review that got over

I've been writing reviews on the Yelp website since 2009. In that time, I've gotten a good amount of feedback. The vast majority has been quite positive. Sometimes I get some negative responses from owners who night think I'm a little tough on them.

But sometimes, there is a positive review from an owner. Those are the ones that surprise me every time. Because some owners review social media diligently while others would rather ignore it. It just pleases me when I can positively impact a business, and that can be done just by giving the manager an unintentional boost of confidence.

Such a review happened earlier this week. I reviewed Piece, which I mentioned in a previous post. The owner had an incredibly grateful and kind response and because it was so well received, I'm posting my review of Piece here.

When people think of pizza, they typically think of two cities: NYC and Chicago. New Haven, CT needs to be put right on the same level. And it's amazing that I can get that style of pizza in the Midwest.

Take note Chicago. This is how you do a thin crust pizza. It's not cut into little dinky squares. It doesn't have the toppings buried under the cheese.

I like that the pizzas aren't shaped in a perfect circle. They're more like oblong ovals that are cut into randomly sized triangular slices. The crust has a great crispness on it with just a tiny hint of chew. Personally, the ideal crust for me is crispy all the way to the bottom and also chewy and crunchy on the outside. The only thing I would want done differently is a touch more chew on the crust.

I have two combos that I go to. One is the red pics with chicken and sauteed mushrooms. I don't know what they do with these mushrooms but they are packed with flavor. And the chicken doesn't dry out, which is always a risk when it's on a pizza.

But then there's what I call the New Haven special. The white pizza, with no sauce, topped with mozzarella, bacon, clams, and roasted peppers. At first thought, this might seem like a crazy combination. But the combination of bacon and roasted peppers provides that perfect combination of sweet and salty. They load the pizza up with clams, they definitely don't skimp on them either. And it's the only pizza I've ever seen served with lemon wedges. A little lemon, and plenty of Parmesan and crushed red pepper, and I'm ready to go.

The small pizza is supposed to feed 1-2 people, but I have no problem taking one of these down by myself. I wish they would expand into the suburbs. There's really no other place to get pizza like this outside of the Northeast and that makes me feel sorry for the rest of the country.

No comments: