Friday, June 22, 2018

Humanity

In these last few weeks, I have truly seen some of the best parts of people and some of the worst that people are capable of as well.

I have witnessed inclusion, I have dealt with exclusion. I have experienced genuine concern, I've seen apathy. I have discovered different opinions, for better or worse. I've learned patience in the midst of anxiety. I have been trying to practice positive self talk, especially as terrible words slip out of my mouth. I've heard the sweetest affirmation, and I've heard the most evil slander. I've seen the beauty of repentance and the disgrace that is Pride. Especially since it's June.

There is no question God is trying to teach me as I go through this remarkable time of change. And I have no doubt that I am growing stronger, and that I have so much more work to do. I'm yet to learn if there is one big lesson still to come.

I'm thankful for the people who are standing by me. I realize that I'm a complicated guy. I have unique opinions, likes, and dislikes and I am not ashamed to express myself, even at the risk of ridicule or hate. Some have judged me harshly in the last few weeks and that is their choice, their burden, their ignorance. This is why I have had to pray in depth more, practice positive self talk, and surround myself with supportive people. Because there is such a huge difference between constructive criticism and malicious criticism.

My beliefs are not of the popular culture. I don't believe everything is to be tolerated and accepted. Many things can feel natural or good at first and then they could come back to hurt. I mean, if our parents accepted everything we did as kids and gave us no discipline, what kind of entitled people would we all become as adults?

I believe in right and wrong. While laws and rules sometimes need to be adjusted to reflect changing times, morals on the other hand, are bigger than feelings and are not to be messed with. I believe in helping the greater good and I don't care if it offends a couple of folks.

No comments: