Sunday, July 01, 2018

Sunday reflections

1) I had three Yelp Fit Club workouts in three days during the course of last week. Tuesday was yoga, followed by Explosive Performance at a new One Life gym on Wednesday, and it culminated with Muay Thai on Thursday. The yoga really didn't do anything for me, it was a little too meditative. Sure I felt a little more relaxed afterwards, but I didn't feel al that enlightened, and certainly not challenged. The EP focused a lot on conditioning and functional strength. There was a lot of power moves, squats, lunges, and even a sled race relay at the end. It was a load of fun and I would definitely want to do this again. Muay Thai was a radically new experience for me. I've done some kickboxing classes in the past and I took karate for a few months when I was a little kid. Truth be told, I never gravitated to them. But I really liked how this style requires balance, concentration, technique, and energy. Not only that, but it's one hell of a stress reliever. And unlike in kickboxing, I didn't have to spend the entire time pounding those heavy bags. My partner, Rachel, did a great job with her strikes. I could tell she had a little experience as soon as I saw that she had brought her own gloves along. We really clicked in terms of coaching each other, positioning the pads, and timing our strikes. I would definitely do this more often, but when it's an hour away without traffic and the prices are rather prohibitive, I just can't justify it.

2) My Sunday night is being spent watching Ken Burns' documentary from 18 years ago about jazz music. Looks like I'll get through the first two episodes of the ten part series. I'm not an expert on jazz at all, but after watching his baseball series so many years ago, I figured it would be a good way for me to learn about a genre of music that is distinctly American. And maybe I'll discover some artists that I didn't know about.

3) Bub n Pops in DC. I cannot visit the city without stopping in there. They may just be the best sandwich joint I've ever been to, along with Defonte's in Brooklyn and Graziano's in Chicago. They just can't make a bad sandwich. The roast pork, the brisket, the Italian, the Jewish hero. Just unbelievable quality.

4) I think it's time for me to purchase a TV set for the first time. Most likely, I'll be buying it at Costco. On the surface, there doesn't seem to be much to do except check the price tag and the inches. But upon further research, I'm learning about HDR, pixels, HDMI ports, etc. I see some sets that have Wi-Fi capabilities and I can hardly imagine how that would work. I'm currently watching a 32 incher and the one I have that is all but dead is a 37 inch. I've been seeing articles that insist on a 55 inch or a 65 inch, but I believe I'd be satisfied with a set over 40 inches.

5) I'm disgusted with my apartment complex, specifically the business practices of the agents. Not only did they raise my rent by $125 per month (would have been $225 if I did a 6 month lease instead of a 12 month lease), but they won't even negotiate. This in spite of me quitting my job and now having a new one which pays a little bit less than what I was making. So why don't I just move? There's really two reasons why I'm leaning towards staying. One, my new job is five minutes from this apartment. Two, I don't want to go through the aggravation of moving. But I gave them notice two weeks ago that I was leaving since they insisted on it. Now that my work situation has shifted, I'm hoping I can stay. Yet, I'm still waiting to hear back from the leasing office. So annoying.
 

No comments: