Monday, July 23, 2018

Work transition

I started working my new school job on July 9 and started a restaurant waitering job about two days later. Fast forward one week, and between Monday and Saturday, I worked over 75 hours. So in a span of two weeks, I went from working zero hours to working 75.

I expected too much of myself too quickly. Being that I had three years of waitering experience, 11 years working in education, which is really just a form of customer service, and that I'm a foodie, I thought I would come in and immediately be great. So even during my four day training process, it was tough to hear criticism and correction. It's not that I didn't want correction, I appreciate constructive criticism. But between Friday and Saturday, I took some strides forward in terms of my approach and willing ness to ask for help. I made between 28 and $38 my first three nights. I would have hoped for a little better than $38 on a Friday though. But I made just shy of $100 on Saturday, which is a really good number, despite it being an eight hour shift. And keep in mind that I only get to keep 40% of my tips, because I have to tip the bartender, the busser, and the many meat servers. So my total in tips was around $235. But that's just a side dish, if I may use a food analogy. If it doesn't work out, it'll leave me with a little less money, but certainly more time.

What matters is the new school job. How am I feeling at the moment? Well after ten days, I cautiously think there is a future for me. Mostly, I'll be working with military students. One of the reasons I have confidence it will work is the management is hands on but supportive. Our campus president is very interested and has a lot of energy. The two financial aid managers are very straight forward and are going to make sure I get this down. The bad part is I have no paid time off until at least mid-February. But it's a price I have to pay.

No comments: