Monday, July 23, 2018

One year down

So it's now been more than one year since I moved from St. Charles to Newport News. Those two towns are 900 miles apart and they seem like two completely different worlds. So with that in mind, I decided to take a brief moment and point out some of the most memorable moments and happenings that have occurred over the last twelve months.

1. Underwater hockey.
I really tried to make this work, being that I I was new to the area and loved playing hockey. But one night of this was enough. I swallowed maybe half a gallon of pool water that night. I don't think I've ever had so much trouble breathing. But i'm glad I tried it once.

2. Aroma's chai tea.
What a cool coffee shop I have less than five walking minutes away. Excellent drinks, homey atmosphere. It blows Starbucks out of the water.

3. Run club.
This became a tradition for me on Monday nights. 3 miles and back from Whole Foods to City Center Blvd and back. I met some pretty good people there, most notably Ira, Dave, and Deb. I slacked off by the fall though, but I probably ran close to a dozen times.

4. Stop sign.
That asshole cop. Never been to that peculiar intersection before, but I just didn't see the stop sign. Cop didn't care and I went to court twice over it, ultimately paying a $100 fine.

5. Community group.
This was the main reason that I decided to go to Grace Bible Church. The group met at the right time of day on the right day of the week and it had people around my age group. I just hope they are friends who I will still have in my life after the group comes to an end one day.

6. Men's breakfasts.
This was one of the other reasons why I went to Grace Bible. Once a month, I would meet with other men in Virginia Beach at a restaurant and we would have breakfast together and here and inspirational message. Very few other churches have regular meetings like this for men, and if they do come of the usually around 5:30 in the morning.

7. Virginia Jets Fans.
Well what can I say. I never expected to find us superior jets group in Virginia as opposed to Chicago, but that's what happened. Between Stirling, Ken, LeShay, Barb, Ray, Dennis, Sam, Chip, Joe, Patrick, Suzanne, and others, we really are a family.

8. Hollydazzle.
The city center shopping area where I live is very strange. A lot of times it feels like a ghost town. But when there is a festival going on, there is hardly room to walk. And their Christmas festival is the epitome. I am literally could not walk for 3 hours because there was no room to move. But at least I got to see the tree light up.

9. Basketball.
At least I got to get back into athletics for a little while. Even though Stratford was doomed to fail, I got to travel with a basketball team and I really enjoyed tracking the statistics. I just wish I could make a living at what I enjoy doing.

10. Bored Nevermore.
Meetup became a pretty big deal for my social life. I met a lot of very cool people and also a few people who I didn't really care to hang around but they were definitely the minority. Alisa is a great organizer. Ann adds a lot of spunk despite not living the most moral lifestyle. John will speak his mind, he's a little older and really doesn't seem to give a damn anymore. Susannah...I just wish she'd give me a chance.

11. Indoor gardening.
Mom got me an Easter present of an indoor garden that plugs in. I really enjoyed growing my own herbs for the first time.

12. Yelp.
The Yelp community does not meet as often in the Hampton roads area as it doesn't Chicago man. But I've gotten to do some very enjoyable events such as New Orleans seafood, Outback on two occasions, and several fitness classes.

13. Shamrock 8k. Less than 38 minutes on St. Patrick's Day. Cold in the morning. Loads of Yeungling beers afterwards.

14. World Mission Alliance Church.
My worst church experience ever. I'm thankful that I have a firm faith.

15. Quitting my job.
I've said so much about this in my recent post. Maybe God used that job which wasn't meant to work out in order to get me here for another reason. I'm not totally sure what the reason is aside from my independence. But I'm excited to find out.

No comments: