Thursday, August 05, 2021

Chapter 6-Skagway

It was not a good night of sleep for me.  I was up at 4 am, then again at 630. We only have about 7 hours of darkness a day, and we're an hour behind Alaska time so it's like living in another world. I woke up and an hour later, the Mets were playing a game, and of course, losing.

One of the cool things is we're only the second cruise ship to travel through Alaska since the pandemic. No wonder people were so ready to see us, not jut the boat staff, but also the merchants running businesses in the excursion towns.

I grabbed an Egg McMuffin and fruit cup at the International Cafe. We got off the ship for the food science tour, there were 14 people on this excursion. Most folks were doing a train ride or zip lining or gold mine panning, but we went a little different direction. We took a bus to downtown Skagway. It looked just like the old west, but even more than Juneau. 

We were taken to a small inn in the heart of downtown. It has a small restaurant with ten rooms and is only open about six months a year, which is typical for Alaska. I started with a rhubarb muffin and a cup of coffee or tea. Of course, I was mistakenly given coffee, which I nearly spit out immediately. Thankfully that got fixed. We also toured their outdoor garden with lettuce, rhubarb, Swiss chard, berries, and herbs. 

Back inside, surrounded by oversized Alaskan mosquitoes, we had a lecture on topics like Alaskan economy, pH, sourdough starter, and different types of fish. For our meal, we were served smoked halibut on sourdough bread, pickled asparagus, and rhubarb crisp with whipped cream. But perhaps the highlight was the lavender ice cream that we made. Yes, we made ice cream. So in a small zip bag, we combined powdered sugar with heavy cream and lavender, there may have been one other ingredient. Then we zipped that up and put that bag into a bigger bag that had ice and rock salt. Then we had to shake it. And shake. And shake. And shake. That's when I realized they had gloves on the table, for that very reason. After 4 or 5 minutes, my hands were freezing cold. I wrapped the bag in a cloth... and kept shaking. Think about it, 14 people shaking the ice filled bags at the same time. It sounded like the ultimate Latin rhythm section, we should've had our own shot at the theater that night. I also chatted with Olivia for a few minutes, she's the daughter of the co-owners, she was really bubbly and engaging. 

Walking back through town, Mom and I stopped at the famous Red Onion Saloon.  This place is right out of the early 20th century. Brothel signs, toilet seats adorned the walls, the random disco ball, old school country music on the radio. We each had a drink and went on our way. After a little window shopping downtown where we had no intention of buying anything, we took the 15 minute walk back to the ship. 

I headed right to Deck 19, the top of the ship for the mini golf competition. And I won the event! Granted, I was the only one who showed up. So I chatted with Elle, the Australian assistant host for a while. After a run, and a subsequent fight with mom over something that was probably really stupid, I headed to dinner on my own and it was an Italian theme. I remember I had a steak that was just ok. But the feeling was pretty isolating and it's a reminder to me that I don't know if I would want to go on a cruise my myself. I really would need some companionship, even if it's with a group of other singles. Preferably in my age range. 

After a Jack Daniels smash at Crown, I played a music lyric game, the first was 70s focused. I got 23 points out of 30, the winners got 28. Then came Family Feud, with Rachel. I came in second about of several dozen people with 43 points, the winners had 44. But the 14 questions that were asked were all 20 year old questions. For instance, "Name something you associate with the TV show Baywatch." 
Then came the second music game, but this time, a girl came with me. I found out quickly on that she was married. I met the husband the next night, and good Lord, what a geek. Forget wearing the pants in the relationship, he's down to a little tennis skirt now. But outside of an Amy Whitehouse song, she wasn't any help aside from being my flirt buddy. Back to Crown for another smash and music. Still can't find Skip Bo.

No comments: