Thursday, August 05, 2021

Chapter 9-One Last Day

My birthday. 40 years old. I woke up at 830 and hit the gym at 10. I did an hour cardio. Which was supposed to be all running... it turned into 25 minutes of running, 15 minutes of walking, and 20 minutes of the elliptical. My lower legs just needed rest I guess. The reason I went at 10 is because at 11, there was a seminar called Secret to a Flatter Stomach. It had my attention and by 11, I had a seat. And I was the only one attending, at least for the first ten minutes, but eventually three others joined us. 

I was hoping for workout and nutrition tips. But the Indian guy who was running the seminar started talking about detox. It interested me since I've never done it. He talked a lot about the lymphatic system, the liver, how the human body uses energy, he even touched on pH, the acid vs alkaline thing. But about halfway through, he mentioned eating seaweed and algae, and all of a sudden I had a feeling what was about to happen. A minute later, he said to clean the liver, which is what removes toxins from the body, it takes 3 months minimum, but 6 is more typical. At that point, I started to get suspicious that this wasn't just a seminar. And I was right: it turned into a timeshare presentation where he was going to test us and get us started on a program. It wasn't what I signed up for so I left. Now I would certainly consider doing a detox program, but I would want to research it on my own first. 

For lunch, I ate at the marketplace, so I was still in my workout clothes. The felt carved feta crusted lamb was excellent. I stopped by the hot tub, since it wasn't on my way back to the room. The old singles group was there, I had run into a few of them over the course of the week. One woman from Iran, she was really a go getter, spoke her mind, almost to the point where I would want to tell her to shut up. There was also a cute girl in the tub, but of course, she came with her boyfriend. 

I went back to the room and cleaned up, put on my new Alaska t-shirt, and went down to the Cafe where I had just an amazing cup of chai. I don't know what they use but Starbucks could learn from the ship's coffee baristas.

I watched a second presentation from Mike, who's now an Alaskan resident by way of Cleveland. I'd heard his first presentation about living in Alaska, the people, the nature, etc, but missed 2 and 3. The final one was titled native people. Well in the last 15 minutes, we were reminded how great animals are and how badly people treat them. In other words,  people are arrogant. Sorry but only humans are made in God's image. We should take care of animals, I love animals, but let's not act like they are identical to humans. 

I then went upstairs for carpet ball, which was supposed to be in the greens. But it was two floors down by the elevator. Anyway it's like bocce with these balls that roll all over the place, it is a stupid game, I was out in the first round. I went right to Good Spirits for a Vanilla sky, a great cocktail with vanilla vodka, pineapple, and lime juice, with a few other odds and ends. Alan and Lou, the bartenders, would show videos of the history of each region and mike up as they narrated the composition of each cocktail. I did get a happy birthday serenade. 

After trivia with Rachel, it was dinner time at Crown. We were booked at 7:30, but thankfully, we were able to get in at 6:15. The highlight was the black and blue soup, which was a spin on French onion soup with Jack Daniels, Roquefort cheese, and fresh thyme. Great flavor, nice and rich. My porterhouse steak was cooked nicely to a medium rare, but lacked seasoning. Considering the menu listed the three unique salts, I was wondering why they were never even mentioned. And with dessert, I did get my second happy birthday serenade. Of course they gave me a chocolate tuxedo cake, so I went for the Key lime pie bar, which was decent, but nothing special. The cover charge was $29 per person, which was fine, because at a regular steakhouse, we would've spent $200 for sure, factoring in wine, tax, and tip. 

Off to Hollywood Hiccups. The staff reenacted classic movie scenes with their own twists, we saw everything from Nightmare on Elm Street to Titanic to  Baywatch to the Full Monty. Nothing short of hysterical. 

Two last Jack Daniels smashes at Crown Bar, more music from Tony, and it was over. Last minute packing for my 45 pound suitcase and then time to say goodbye. 



No comments: