Thursday, August 05, 2021

Chapter 7-Glacier Bay

So Thursday was a trip without an excursion to Glacier Bay National Park, we all had to stay on the ship. The morning had almost no activities, so clearly something was up with this trip. By 10 am, the upper deck of the ship was full of people holding cell phones high in the frigid Alaskan air to take pictures of the mountains and glaciers, there were even a few tripods set up on the decks. Marjerie Glacier was probably the highlight, it's 250 feet high, and goes 100 feet below the surface. There's even a Johns Hopkins glacier in the park too, it's almost like they're sponsored. But the ice blue and white colors were so stark, so sharp, the pictures don't even need filters.

Lunch was at Concerto where I had salad,  spaghetti, aigolio, and a fish taco. Cruise life. Then we went to a presentation where one of the park rangers, who had come on board, told us about the history of the park from the theater. It was pretty good, but I admit, I fell asleep in some spots. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do in the cold weather, and it was too soon after eating to do cardio, so I decided to lift weights at the gym. That didn't exactly pan out. One 60 or so year woman kept occupying the chin up/dip machine, which is what I really wanted to use. She was marching slowly in place, while watching her phone which was set up on the bench of the machine. After 15 minutes of her doing this, feeling exasperated, I took off. 

I don't even remember dinner at this point, but I do recall going to Good Spirits of the Sea beforehand. This is a bar that focuses on unique cocktails native to other countries, but the primary focus was on Latin America. My go to became the Sandia en Fuego, which had watermelon, Serrano peppers, Don Julio, lime juice, and agave syrup. Oh and the rim of the glass was lined with volcanic black salt. I guess black salt matters. But the drink was great, it was sweet, spicy, and salty. I drank three of those over the course of the trip. 

Actually the one thing I do remember from dinner is the dessert. Now my parents were always big fans of profiteroles. Two pastry shells surrounding vanilla ice cream, topped with chocolate sauce and a dusting of powdered sugar. Well, this profiterole had banana flavored gelato and caramel sauce. Really good, not my favorite kind of dessert though with all the sweetness. 

Anyway, I went straight to Marriage Match for two different episodes. It is priceless to watch these guys make fools out of themselves, it's like watching the beginnings of a divorce. The old folks either are careful not to say anything negative or they just don't care what they say anymore. It leaned more towards the former, sadly. 

In between, we did win 70s music trivia and I won 2 wine stoppers for my efforts. Back to Crown for a pina en fuego.

No comments: