Thursday, August 05, 2021

Chapter 8-Ketchikan

Friday. My last day in my 30s. Fittingly, I started with 30 minutes of lifting in the gym, my lower legs were not feeling too great for a run. Then I went to a small theater for a Speed Sudoku challenge. That didn't go too well, the puzzle stumped me, the event was over in 15 minutes.

We arrived early in Ketchikan on an unseasonably warm day. This town is kind of like the gateway to Alaska. There's a lot of hunting and fishing, with a lot of salmon. I was able to find a black Alaska Under Armour shirt and while it wasn't cheap, I think it looks great, feels light, and will work really well.
 
We took a boat ride into a bay where we caught crabs. I thought it was stupid that we had to wear masks on a boat, but whatever. Then it was back to the George Inlet Lodge cut the dungeness crab fest, which was supposed to be all you can eat. I ate 1.5 crabs, or 3 plates, and it's only because we had to return to the boat, I could have easily had another 2 or 3 crab plates. Really good crab, maybe not quite as good as Tracy's, but close. Maybe I just like a little more seasoning besides melted butter, but I guess the idea is to let the bean be the star of the show. Now there was salad, blueberry cheesecake, one red potato, and an alcoholic beverage included as well. I drank an Alaskan amber, I drank maybe half a dozen of those over the week. 

After we got back, the weather had warmed dramatically and I laid in the sun for about 45 minutes, but gosh. I felt so self-conscious. I look so overweight despite my intensified running schedule. I don't think my diet went off the rails this week. But gosh, I didn't even want to take my shirt off. And this is on a cruise that didn't exactly have the fittest crowd ever. 

I went back to the room and watched two episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond, there were about 20 episodes available on demand. 

It was our final dinner in Concerto, we went for the Curtis Stone inspired pork belly with homemade chunky applesauce, sauteed spinach, and roasted potatoes. Really good, but of course, not the leanest cut of pork. I did enjoy the sugar free coconut cake for dessert. 

Onto the games, and it was Liars Club. Basically a random word was selected and three staff members says what they thought the word meant and then we had to figure out who was telling the truth and which two were lying. There were words like bumfiddler, assapanick, sexangle, and nodgecock. I came out of this cruise so much smarter...

I decided against Pyramid; instead, I went over to the theater see a stand up comedian named Carlos, but actually it was a sitting on the stool comedian. Pretty good stuff.  

A few more JD smashes and acoustic guitar, and off to bed. Still no sign of Skip Bo.

No comments: