Saturday, April 30, 2022

Charleston-Part 2

Saturday
Morning Kayak in Shem Creek
So many huge birds, herons
Grit Counter for lunch in Mt Pleasant
Our hotel was a few minutes down the street from this place and when I saw they were only open 4 hours a day, 5 days week, I figured they must be pretty good.

After a morning of kayaking, we headed over to create some shrimp and grits bowls. I still struggle with what to add to apple pie grits, but that's neither here nor there. I went with jalapeno cheddar grits with caramelized onions, heirloom tomatoes, local shrimp, and a green tomato bacon jam. Of my goodness, what an amazing combination. The tomatoes were so ripe, the onions added the sweetness, there was the slightest hint of heat from the jalapeno, and the shrimp were maybe the freshest I could remember eating. I think if anything I would have added some bacon just for a little extra meat and flavor!

I like that they have a small counter and you can watch them prepare your dish. And they have a variety of iced teas and lemonade as well as alcohol, along with outdoor seating.

I'm not a grits lover, but if I'm back in Charleston, this is one of the few places I would absolutely return to. Definitely try this!

Drove to some of the local Beach towns
Folly Beach
Couldn't park at all
Sullivan Island
Dunleavy pub
This is the ultimate dive. Tons of license plates and Boston sports memorabilia. As a New Yorker, I can't say it sat well with me, but so be it.

We took seats at the bar and were given a bowl of free popcorn, nice of them to do. For beer, they didn't have a ton of draft options, but I wanted something local and I did get a Park Circle Pale from Commonhouse, which was pretty good. We ordered a bunch of grilled wings, half honey mustard, half medium. they were cooked well, very juicy, I did want the skin a little crispier.

Mom is not a big Buffalo wings fan, so I wound up eating about 75 percent of them. With inflation, wings are just getting crazy price was. I think it was about 16 dollars for 12 wings.

The clientle was definitely regulars, this is the kind of bar where people probably come several days a week. And damn, they drink hard. There was a group of about 15 at the communal table in the middle and two of the women were so loud and obnoxious, even the bartenders started glaring at them. So if you're looking for a bar to have a quiet conversation with someone, look somewhere else.

And remember, cash only!
Philips shoes 
Very upscale shoe store
I helped people figure out On shoes
The store should've hired me right then!
Topsail for dinner 
Thankfully, we got the last parking spot in the lot, behind the restaurant, right next to the dumpster and walked by an employee smoking a cigarette. Not the best first impression, I don't care if you're on break or not.

We walked in and were sat in the side room, it was like the addition room to a house. I guess space is a little tight around that area. We started with bowls of she crab soup, and I wasn't impressed. It had too much sherry. I finished mine but mom asked for a Caesar salad instead, and it was covered with way too much dressing for her taste.

Our entrée was one of a kind, a two pound whole red snapper, I think we got the second to last one. It came grilled and served with potatoes and vegetables. It tasted great, super fresh, and it cost $55, which isn't terrible for two people.
I guess I took it personally
My fault
Led to a fight with mom and a terrible finish to the night
Read my new Merle Haggard biography 

No comments: