Saturday, April 30, 2022

Charleston, part 3

Mom wanted to go to a black church downtown. We got dressed nicely, drove to the crowded downtown, and... it was closed
Still a lot of churches meeting online only
We went to the First Presbyterian Church instead and it felt so much like the one I went to growing up in New Jersey
Mom had a 1pm timeshare meeting at a Hilton hotel. 
With a little bit of time for lunch, we went to North Charleston to the Tattooed Moose, which was featured on DDD. I mean I didn't know when my next chance would be to try a duck confit club sandwich.

We sat at the bar, it was mostly the brunch crowd, but wow, it was really packed. It's good thing they had a really long bar that holds about 50 people. The garage door was open so we needed our jackets to keep us warm.

So the duck club was really good. The sweetness of the Hawaiian bread really made this the perfect bread for this kind of sandwich. The duck confit was tender, though I thought it got a little overwhelmed with all the other ingredients. The bacon had a nice smokiness, and the garlic aioli was nice and strong. The smoked cheddar, lettuce, and tomato rounded it off very nicely. It's a little messy, but it was fun.

Mom got the Thanksgiving sandwich and this is an underrated gem. That turkey tasted roasted, it was not generic in the slightest. Cornbread stuffing, a little cranberry, crispy onions with gravy on the side. Thankfully, they held the mayo.

And the duck fat fries, well they're duck fat fries. What else needs to be said, other than that you've never had french fries until you've had them cooked in duck fat.

One of the funkiest atmospheres I've ever seen in a restaurant, this is a great place to go.

While mom went to get meeting, I explored King St, one of the 3 main streets of the city. The shopping is top level, akin to Fifth Avenue in New York or Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. 
Heros Donuts
Sugar n spice, one of the best I have ever had. 
Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, ground coffee in the spice blend.
Charleston Beer Works
Met a couple of girls who had been in town for a Bachelorette party
One works for the NJ Devils
Went back to the hotel to clean up
Husk 
I had made a reservation two months in advance, during my one week in Charleston, I wanted to visit one of the more iconic restaurants in town and I was able to get a spot.

We started with the hearth baked skillet cornbread, which had the tiniest crumbles of Broadbent’s bacon. It was so hearty and satisfying, I could tell that cast iron had been covered with bacon grease! It was more of a savory cornbread, less sweet than what I'm used to, but I liked it.

We split the lettuces with cornmeal fried oysters, radishes, pickled onions, and buttermilk dressing. Six oysters are never enough! they were super crispy and nicely flavored. The lettuces were super fresh and vibrant.

For our main course, we both had the TN Beef Strip with new potatoes, broccolini, mushrooms, and jus. First of all, props to the staff for the beautiful presentation. The beef was cooked to a perfect medium, that faded light pink, and was well seasoned. It wasn't a very large portion, it was five or six decently thick cut pieces of steak, it wasn't a getting a whole steak and cutting as you go. And there wee maybe 4 or 5 baby potatoes on the plate, all of which were bite sized. I could've definitely eaten more, but I was satisfied at then end.

I was looking forward to a real southern dessert like chess pie or cobbler, but they only had two options and I believe both had chocolate, so I had to pass. I really thought they should have offered more options.

I'm not going to say I was totally blown away or it was the best food I ever had in my life. But it was southern food done with some class and I'm glad I got to go.
Back to the hotel
The Beyond Borders crowd was still there
The lobby reeked of packeted parmesan cheese
Bar was closed
Marble slab for ice cream

Got to the airport at 3:45 am. 
Bumped 3 times
I landed at Newport News around 330, drove straight to the office, and worked 4 hours before finally driving home

No comments: