Thursday, December 08, 2005

A disaster in Chicago

How are the Rangers winners of 20 games? This was a piss-poor performance as they lose 2-1 in overtime to the lousy, stinky, beat up Chicago Blackhawks, losers of 5 of their last 6.

I attended the game last night at the United Center. I even left work early so I could get there right when the doors opened at 6 p.m. And I did. I had several Rangers fans sitting around me as well. There may have been a few hundred of us in the arena. And all the ends of the stadium were empty. The areas behind the goalies were just a sea of red. Either that or all the people were dressed like chairs.

The first period was totally uneventful. No shots for the first eight minutes by either team. The Rangers had two power plays, didn't score. But they had no pressure at all. Their only close chance came when Steve Rucchin hit the post. Actually the Rangers hit 3 posts during the game. The off the post shot is as much a staple of the Ranger offense and the fumbled snap is of the New York Jet offense.

Now I expected ex-Blackhawk Michael Nylander to do something big in this game. And he did. Pressuring Jim Vandermeer in the Ranger offensive zone, the puck came loose and Petr Prucha scored. 1-0 Rangers midway through the second period.

The bliss lasts for..... eighteen seconds. Before you were done cheering, before the Hawk announcer finished the goal summary over the PA, the Hawks get the puck into the Ranger zone. Nobody seems to see Jaroslav Spacek all alone in the slot. Matthew Barnaby, of all people, passes to him. He shoots, he scores, he ties the game. Somehow, I wasn't surprised. I really wasn't.

Now onto my biggest gripe. I have never seen a power play so inept. I can't imagine it was this bad for the last seven years. Even when they got a 4 minute power play late in the second, I knew they weren't going to score. I said out loud "OK, here comes four minutes of scoreless hockey." That's what happened. Time after time, the Rangers would get into the Hawk zone, pass around the blue line twice, then miss a pass, and the defense would clear the zone. No Ranger dared stand in front of the net and create a little traffic in front of Nikolai Khabibulin. It was like watching the New York Jet offense get the football at the other team's 40 yard line, run 3 plays (with 2 being runs up the middle), and try to kick a field goal. A passive, soft conservative offense that does not work.

But what drove me nuts was the third period. The Rangers have played the third period well all year long. They come out and run Chicago all over the ice. The Hawks never sustained any offensive pressure for more than 30 seconds at a time. The Rangers had breakaways, one-timers, shots from the slot, and nothing went in! Tom Poti stopped point blank. Ryan Hollweg and Martin Rucinsky fail on breakaways. Dominic Moore has Khabibulin flat on his stomach and a wide open net. All he had to do was lift the damn puck six inches! But no. The puck goes right off his stick. The game goes to overtime.

I should also note that the Hawks always had 2 guys in front of their own net. It's as if they were playing not to lose. They were seemingly waiting for the Rangers to screw up and take advantage. Speaking of which...

Martin Rucinsky takes one of the stupidest penalties I have ever seen. 45 seconds into overtime, he sticks his stick up a Hawk's nose. I mean, even Luke Petigout of the Giants was probably watching it and going, "What the hell is he thinking?" A four minute penalty and I got ready to leave. I knew it was over. Not even one minute later, they score. Game over. With my seat two steps from an exit I just got out of there as fast as I could. For any cheering Hawk fan, I reminded them which team was in first place. I should've started a 1961 chant, the last time they won a Stanley Cup. Nah, maybe not.

Yes we got one point. It should've been two. If our power play was worth a damn, we would've scored 4 or 5 goals.

And why did Ville Niemenen sit for a game against his old team? I don't think Colton Orr even played in the third period. The Rucchin-Moore-Hollweg line will not work.

Fedor Tyutin had a lousy night. He could be a good young player, but he'd better get a clue on how to run the power play. And he has no idea how to play defense either.

The Rangers have somehow gotten away with a good first third of the season. I don't know how. But a major move must be made soon. Because there is nowhere near enough offense on this team to keep this team at the top of the Atlantic Division, let alone to make a playoff run.

A very aggravating night, to say the least.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am just glad you got home safelyhave a good day, and I will talk to you tonight-and you are right-the power play is powerless

Anonymous said...

can't you just be grateful you were able to go to the game? They did get 1 point. They should have won no doubt--be thankful you got home safely..have a good day at work.