Thursday, December 01, 2005

It is 10:47 and 38 seconds...

on a Thursday morning from the people's cubicle in the HM office in St Charles. That's right, my cubicle here at Houghton Mifflin. The job is going pretty well. Basically I take data from spreadsheets and enter it into the computer so colleges can get new editions of their textbooks whenever the year comes for a new rollover. It's very repetitive, but it sure beats sitting at home.

And some people wonder whether it's better to stand for 8 hours a day at work or sit for 8 hours a day at work. Listen, they both blow. It depends what you're used to, I guess. But man, I do this for 8 hours, then go to the paper and sit for 4 more. I have to make some time to get back into the gym.

Much to my amazement, I got invited to the HM Winter Gathering in 2 weeks. Now that's really just a corporate name for Christmas party. But it's cool to be invited after less than 2 weeks here.

I saw Jerry Lewis on Larry King last night. He was talking about his new book about Dean Martin. It was very entertaining and he seemed to be in very good health. He said he lost about 80 pounds and he had his usual energy level. But I can't see Jerry without thinking of Chris Rock's bit about his telethon. Since I've designed this space for my millions and millions of readers (OK, more like dozens and dozens) and am sensitive to them, I won't quote it. It is downright hysterical though.

HOW BOUT THEM KNICKERBOCKERS!!! Rode the Bulls all over Madison Square Garden and came back in the 4th quarter. Jamal Crawford played his best game as a Knick showing he can play a complete game (that means defense) when he wants to. Eddy Curry didn't play and in this case that may have been a good thing. No doubt the Bulls would have been waiting the chance to hammer him once he got the basketball in the low post (that's near the basket). Nate Robinson (who I like a lot, since he's my height) made an incredible pass to second year small forward Trevor Ariza who slammed the ball home to tie the game at 82-82 and drew the foul. It was the first time the Knicks hadn't been losing since 0-0. Quentin Richardson was benched and he certainly wasn't needed either. The Knicks got Robinson and Richardson in exchange for Kurt Thomas. The more I think about it just being Thomas for Robinson, the better it sounds.

Channing Frye scores 20 points again, and boy does he look good. Mo Taylor, and to a lesser extent, Malik Rose, are just stealing playing time from Frye and their other rookie forward David Lee. Seriously, Jerome James, Maurice Taylor, and Penny Hardaway are meaningless to this team, barring injuries. Like The Who sang, the kids are alright.

Six days till I get to watch the Rangers smoke the Blackhawks in the UC.

Here's my idea for the Mets at catcher. Forget acquiring Hernandez or Molina, though I'd rather have Hernandez. Sign a lefty like Paul Bako, who can platoon with Castro, will come cheap, plays good defense, and save the money to either sign another reliever or, even better, save the money for next year. The starting rotation is aging. Next year's free agent crop will be better and Glavine will be gone. So save the money for next year when Zito or someone like that becomes a free agent.

The latest rumor is Kris Benson to Baltimore for Armando Benitez-clone Jorge Julio. I don't know. I really don't know if Julio has the guts to pitch in big spots. Trading Benson's contract would be good. He's a 3-starter, good, but inconsistent. This is from the NY Post, regarding Julio.
“His out pitch is a four-seam fastball that he fires in the 96-98 mph range. He also throws a slider. Julio gets himself in trouble when he tries to overthrow. As a result, he loses his release point and his control." Can you say, "Welcome back Armando!"

If the starting rotation is Pedro, Glavine, Trachsel, Zambrano, and Seo, I can deal with that. Except who's our insurance policy when one gets hurt? Matt Ginter is a free agent again...

And the Giants are supposed to revisit a Kaz Matsui for Edgardo Alfonzo swap. If I'm Omar Minaya, I do that now. If I have to eat 2 million or so of Matsui's 8 million dollar contact this year, I would do that. Willie Randolph doesn't want Matsui. Fonzie would be a very good 6 or 7 hitter. More importantly, he bleeds blue and orange and would be a good plug in until Anderson Hernandez is ready to play in the majors, assuming he ever is. And besides, Tony Graffanino is about to sign with Kansas City.

Back to work I go... Later peeps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.