Friday, December 09, 2005

Friday morning, yes!

Six inches of snow blanket Chicago last night.

The good news: I left work 30 minutes early after my boss invited me to. The bad news: I was supposed to drive 45 minutes to Warrenville and watch a movie with my church group. After mom and Unger went on and on about how worried they were, I decided not to go. I was ticked off, but dealt with it. At least I got to hear the broadcast of the Rangers 5-1 win over Nashville. I don't know how, but they did it.

I was actually posting on the Rangers bulletin board during the first period. Now this board is ultra sensitive to bad words. You can't even write the word "sucks." So I'm typing in my post and I don't remember the entire context, but the words "of a goal" were in there. So I submit my post and then I look at the board to make sure it's in. I noticed something unusual. The three words I just typed above were censored. I couldn't figure it out. Then I realized what had happened. "of a goal" contains three letters in a row that refer to a derogatory name for gays. And the computer detected it and censored it. I was just bewildered. I mean, come on, what a joke.

The Braves trade away Andy Marte, Danny Kolb, and Johnny Estrada and get back Wes Obermuller, Lance Cormier, and Oscar the Grouch Villareal. Oh, and they got Edgar Renteria. So what do the Mets do? They sign Jose Valentin, who I think could be a fine utility player provided he's healthy. There's no guarantee of that though. He's a good hitter, and he can certainly replace Marlon Anderson, but I question his defensive abilities. And they sign the only active baseball player who was actually once a teammate of Ty Cobb, Julio Franco. 47 years old. Two guaranteed years. What do we need him for? We have Chris Woodward and Xavier Nady on the bench. The king of grounding into double plays in big spots is on the Mets.

I don't like signing guys like this because I think a team needs to play together for a year or two to develop a team atmosphere. You want some guys who can grow into identifying themselves with the jersey they wear on the field every day. Franco is not one of those guys and he's certainly not about to produce for us like he did for Atlanta.

Today is my last day doing course profiling at Houghton Mifflin. I'm going to be starting a new project of sorts on Monday. And by the end of the weekend, I will have a list of the best college names that I have come across while doing this job. And I already have Number One picked out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

could you explain the last paragraph a little better for me? Are you still going to be at HM doing something different? What do you mean about college? Do you mean nicknames for colleges? Or going back to college? Help an old man understand please. Thank you, and I am glad you were smart laqst night, and I am shocked at how well the Rangers played last night.