Friday, June 02, 2006

He is coming back

My old homie from high school in New Jersey, Jason (Jay) Williams may finally be ready to return to the NBA. This is from ESPN.com.

Williams thinks he's ready to return to the NBA after sitting out three years while recovering from a motorcycle crash.

Williams, the former No. 2 NBA draft pick, is in Toronto working out for the Raptors, and likes what he sees in the young team and new general manager Bryan Colangelo.

"The thing I like about Toronto is the winning atmosphere," said Williams. "Guys want to win, guys want to be great players, and you can't say that about every franchise (Personal note: No sh** Sherlock!). They're definitely on the right path there to getting better.

"I love the style [Colangelo] brings to the team," he added. "We worked a lot pushing the ball, he wants to play that kind of fast tempo. And you've got guys like Chris Bosh on your wing and Mo Pete can stretch out the defense, and [Charlie] Villanueva can shoot the ball, the possibilities are exciting."

In June 2003, Williams crashed his new motorcycle into a light pole, fracturing his pelvis, tearing knee ligaments and damaging nerves in his left leg. He hasn't played in the NBA since.

The Chicago Bulls
, who drafted Williams, honored one year of his contract even though he violated a standard clause. They waived him in February of 2004 after reaching a settlement on the remaining two years. The buyout was reportedly worth about $3 million.

Jim Kelly, the Raptors' director of player personnel, said while Williams is "very fit," it remains to be seen whether he's ready to return to the NBA.

"He's pressing for that, but to be honest, we haven't seen him in a full-court game," said Kelly.
Williams insists he's good to go.

"I actually think I'm ready to play now."

I really hope he is. He was one of the few good guys I knew at that school, my first two years of high school out east. I went to an all-white Catholic school in an all black and Indian neighborhood called Our Lady of the Courageous Caucasians. Anyway, Jay and I had English and History classes together. Besides it's not often I meet another person whose mom's name is Althea.

I actually had a chance to play basketball against him, though this was before freshman year and before I knew how good he was. We played in a summer league and our teams faced off for the title. There were 3 levels of play and somehow I snuck onto the top A league. I don't know how in the world it happened. The only things I remember doing well that week was playing hard and passing well. Although my squad won the regular season title, they beat us in the championship game. I think I guarded Jay on one play and though he didn't score on me, he did this fake move on me that was so ridiculous all I can remeber from it now is a blur.

I actually didn't do much for that team. I think in 5 games I touched the ball twice and that was only in the next to last game. But that wasn't as bad as another team. There was an all-black team with one white guy. They nicknamed him "Spot." No one ever passed him the ball. They claimed they couldn't see him in the daytime.

No comments: