Friday, June 09, 2006

World Cup Time!

GOOOOOOOOOOLL!!

Time for the World Cup of Soccer. 32 teams, 8 groups with 4 countries each. 2 advance form each group. Let's do a quick breakdown. My 3 personal favorites have to be the US, Italy, and Ecuador.

First I'll take Group A. Makes sense right? Germany, Ecuador, Costa Rica, and Poland. Germany, as the host, is all but guaranteed one of the top two spots. I don't like Costa Rica and I think whoever wins the Ecuador-Poland game will take second. Obviously, I hope it is Ecuador since I have done mission work down there and played soccer against people from Ecuador. I still love I was the only American in the game and I scored the first goal of the game!

I'll speed through some of these. Group B: England and Sweden advance past Trinidad and Paraguay. Group C: Netherlands and Argentina make it. Group D: Portugal and Mexico make it past Iran and Angola in the weakest group in the field.

Group E: The Group of Death. The Czechs, Italy, the US, and Ghana. The first three teams are all ranked in the top 6 in the world. Ghana is a youg hungry team from Africa. The Czechs have some injury problems, including their superstar Pavel Nedved, who should be playing hockey. The US plays their first game against them and I think that will go a long way in determining who makes it out. I think Italy will get a spot, though I don'know if they will win. This will likely come down to tiebreakers and goal differential. I pick the Czechs and Italians. I don't know if the US can handle the hostility they will encounter. And you need to finish first here because whoever comes in second likely plays Brazil in the round of 16.

Group F: Brazil and Japan advance over Croatia and Australia. Group G: A hungry France team has an easy draw. They advance with Switzerland past Togo (wherever that is) and South Korea. Group H: Spain and Ukraine get past Saudi Arabia and Tunisia.

I'll get back when the round of 16 is set up and see how many teams I picked right and predict the tournament from there on out.

No comments: