Friday, June 23, 2006

Ring of Honor tomorrow night

20 bucks scored me a 4th row seat (27 if you count the handling charges from Ticketmaster!). This should be a very good wrestling card and knowing how good I am at predicting other sports and awards, here are my picks for tomorrow's matches.

ROH World Title Match
Bryan Danielson vs. Colt Cabana

Danielson has been champ since September. Cabana is from Chicago and the crowd would love to see the hometown guy win his first title in this company. Plus his entrance music is Copacabana by Barry Manilow! That takes some guts! I like Danielson to keep his reign going.

Austin Aries vs. KENTA

Aries is an excellent high flyer who has spent some time in TNA. KENTA is a young Japanese sensation who is here for 3 shows. I don't know much about his style, but I hear it's a combo of high flying and shoot (legitimate) fighting. I like KENTA. And he spells his name in all caps for the record, I'm not shouting here.

ROH Pure Title Match
Nigel McGuinness vs. Homicide

McGuiness is from Great Britain and has been champ since he beat Samoa Joe last August. That's one thing I like about ROH, titles don't change that often. It makes them more prestigious, in my opinion. Homicide is from New York, becoming immensely popular, and has promised to leave the company if he doesn't win a title by the end of the year. It's barely summer, I like Nigel to retain, but probably this will be a no-contest or there will be interference.

Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Jimmy Rave & Alex Shelley

Toughest call. The Briscoes have never wrestled in Chicago so I'll see what they can do. Shelley is becoming a big name in TNA and he and Rave are both part of a heel (bad guy) faction called the Embassy. I'll take the Briscoes as the Embassy seems to be going through some changes.

Bunkhouse Match
Adam Pearce & BJ Whitmer vs. Claudio Castagnoli & Necro Butcher

There is a huge independent promotion feud going between ROH, which is more pure wrestling based and CZW, which is more hardcore, and both are based out of Philly. Claudio was with ROH until he betrayed them 2 months ago and rejoined his old friend Chris Hero in CZW. The CZW has gotten the better of the feud this far and I think they win this no holds barred match.

Samoa Joe vs. Delirious

You know I love Samoa Joe. As the TNA chant goes, Joe's gonna kill you. Delirious is entertaining enough, but Joe is the man. Joe wins this one.

Roderick Strong vs. Jimmy Jacobs

Strong put on one of the best matches I've ever seen against Danielson last year. And his chops are the best I've ever seen and the loudest I've ever heard. Jacobs is on a losing streak, and I thin Strong is too good for him right now.

So that's seven matches in all. I'll have a recap by Monday.

No comments: