Wednesday, March 21, 2007

An off night and a few thoughts on my mind

First and foremost, I just came from a wake. And so I'd like to acknowledge Jack Venezia, who passed away on Saturday. You may have heard about the crash in Dundee, IL where the SUV lost control and slammed into a Subway sandwich shop. I did not know Jack, but I felt as if I did. I work with his daughter, Mary Beth, at CEC. Now she and I don't get to talk much since we're on separate floors and she generally has more work to do than I do. But I remember in December when Jack had a heart attack and she was gone from work for a few days and she was feeling distraught.

So when I arrived at the wake in Crystal Lake tonight (which included driving through some of the nastiest rain I've ever seen), Mary Beth remembered that I was there for her when she needed some support and she gave me a hug. It was a good feeling in a tough situtation. But I have to point out it was a little eerie in that church. Jack was a devout Catholic and when I saw him lying in the casket with rosary beads on his hands, I was reminded of a little over a year ago when I saw my grandfather during his wake. Here is a link to the article about Jack.

Work has resumed for spring sports at the Herald. I'm not looking forward to it for the first time in a while. Between my other job, the commute, and going to the gym, this will be a trying couple of months considering I have a lot more on my plate than I did just a year ago. But I'll handle it the best I can.

Rangers continue to streak. They've gotten points in 10 of 11 games. They just beat Philly and are looking like they will make the playoffs. Now it's four straight games on the road. Just please avoid New Jersey in the first round!

Food recommendation: Corned beef sandwiches with deli mustard at Manny's Deli in Chicago. Holy freakin' mackerel, they are amazing.

Music pick: "Some Broken Hearts Never Mend" by Don Williams

No comments: