Thursday, March 15, 2007

That is a tough woman, and etc.

University of Nebraska at Kearney women's basketball coach Carol Russell, who apparently preaches promptness to her players, was late for her team's NCAA regional game this past week. Her reason? Five hours earlier, she gave birth to her first child. She had the kid around 2 pm and was coaching basketball at 7 pm that night. Wow. I hope you're not looking for me to say anything else about it because I think that speaks for itself.

My NCAA brackets are looking pretty good through one night. Duke losing hurts but I didn't have them going far. In the two brackets where I have money, only 1 out of 32 teams I have in the Sweet 16 is out. Not a bad start.

Had my first fantasy baseball draft of the season a few minutes ago. Initially, I wasn't thrilled with my lineup though I did get Jose Reyes with my first pick. And I think starting pitching (Brandon Webb, Felix Hernandez, CC Sabathia, Tim Hudson, Josh Beckett, and Bronson Arroyo) is my strength. I did that because that seems to be the hardest position to acquire during the season. My bullpen is weak, but closers change so often, I'm not worried about it.

And where I usually go with veterans, I went with young guys a lot this time. Prince Fielder, Jonny Gomes, Edwin Encarnacion, Howie Kendrick, Nick Markakis, and Garret Atkins. It really doesn't look impressive on paper, but I think my team will get better and better as the season goes on.

I have nothing planned for St. Patrick's Day, coming up Saturday. I think last year it was on a Sunday, and I went to Muldoon's and drank some kind of Irish beer that I can't remember the name of now. It wasn't Guinness, but it was heavy enough. And for 6 bucks, one was definitely enough.

Song pick: "Poor Boy Blues" Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler. There is some fine, fine picking on that track.

No comments: