Sunday, July 29, 2007

Heading into the week

I've been eating great today. Tuscan toast, 4 scrambled eggs with cheese, pepperoni pizza, jamba juice, milk and a Carole's oatmeal raisin pecan cookie. Think I'd better do some cardio this week...By the way if you've never seen these cookies, you have got to stop right now and click.

Speaking of which, I've barely gotten to the gym this week thanks to my illness and car trouble. I did 30 minutes of cardio, but hardly any lifting. And amazingly, I felt as loose and comfortable today at swinging the bat as I have all season. Does this mean I should stop training?

Well, we got the win we wanted in softball, 24-9 in a game that really didn't get decided until the 5th inning. I batted 2-for-4, scored once, and made two good catches. But the truth is it really doesn't mean that much. Because it all comes down to next week against Rommel. Whoever wins that game wins the division and is seeded third in the playoffs. And I have to say it is time to man up. Even though we're scoring a lot of runs, I'm not thrilled with our offense. We still swing at too many first pitches and pop balls up. They key to a successful offense in this league is taking pitches, and when you do swing, hitting line drives and grounders and let the other team screw up on defense. And as for our defense, we're still a little uneasy. Until recently, we'd been getting a lot of groundball outs, which we can do with the ability of our infield. Now it's a lot of bloop hits to the outfield and hard grounders that our infielders can't quite reach. And Dan's pitching hasn't quite been the same. To beat that team, whom we owe a receipt for last season, we have to play seven great innings. We'll see what happens.

As I've mentioned, this is a big week of baseball for me with two live games coming up and I'm excited about it and dreading it. Carlos Beltran is now almost certain not to play in either of these series or the really big one which comes the following week against the Braves. Oh the pain. How easy must life be for Cubs fans right now?

Congratulations to Claudio Castagnoli on winning ROH's Race to the Top Tournament last night. And shame on Dad for not going.

Song pick: "Some Broken Never Hearts Never Mend" Don Williams

No comments: