Tuesday, July 17, 2007

How sweet it is

Well I did something today that I've never done before...win a call-in radio contest. I got in my car at 7:15, and began my drive to work. I turned on 98.3 FM, a country station based out of Joliet. I was expecting to hear Quarter After Laughter, when they play a minute of stand-up comedy. Well, today that didn't happen. They announced they were giving away a pair of tickets to see Joe Nichols at the DuPage County Fair. I'm not the type to enter these type of contests, but I figured I may as well give it a shot.

So I waited a few minutes until the Joe Nichols song began playing, which was the cue to call. I heard the guitar walkdown intro of "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off" and dialed the number. I got a busy signal. Dialed again. Another busy signal. Now I knew from my internship at a radio station that the station typically lets a bunch of callers flood the board for a minute and once the craziness subsides, they give the prize to the next caller. So I tried once more. Five seconds of dead air. Then I heard the DJ's voice. I asked "Did I win the tickets?" She said yes. I also won two passes to the radio station BBQ which happens right before the concert.

I was so excited I almost pulled off the road. Now I didn't get to talk on the air. But they did mention my name on the air. And it is definitely a cool feeling when your name is announced on the radio to thousands of listeners. And at work, the lady who sits in the cubicle across from mine was listening to the station while it was going on so the news spread quickly. It was cool.

The only question is who will get the extra ticket...

No comments: