Sunday, August 12, 2007

The champ is here

Always an adventure running into Greg and Stacie. Man, I wish we were in the same playoff tournament bracket with his team. Would have been fun. Now I have no problem with the man. But then I showed up at Melas Park today for the game. I'm checking out the playoff schedule and he comes up to me. And what is he sporting on his head? An Atlanta Braves visor! Mr. Cardinal Mr. front-running St. Louis Cardinals fan, especially during my heartbreak last year, and now he's a Braves fan? Come on man, are you a Colts fan too? By the way, I hear he's a Anaheim Ducks fan, at least until next June!

Back to the game, our final regular season softball contest. The big showdown I was talking about against Rommel didn't happen last week, due to rain. So they played a game before we played the fifth place team. If both teams had the same result, we would have to play a positioning game against them next week at 8 a.m. And then we could have two more playoff games right after that. So we find out that Rommel lost by seven, leaving the door wide open for us.

Most of our games have been high-scoring, 23-8, 21-20, 16-15, 21-21, etc. Not today. The humidity was crazy and whenever we hit the ball in the air, it just kept hanging. The pitchers threw strikes, the defenses were on top of their game. In the top of the third, they scored a run on a blooper that I couldn't quite haul in. I made one of my trademark dives, but missed it. But I did make 5 other catches in the outfield, including one that I had to really run back on, but I got it and prevented at least one run from scoring.

On offense, well, there was one highlight. Paul, our left handed slugger, whose wife just had a kid last week, drilled his third or fourth homer over the 285 mark in right field. And that was all we'd need. We won 2-1, finished 7-1-1 (after not winning a game two years ago) and have the No. 3 seed out of ten teams in the playoffs.

I don't know who our opponent is yet, but it'll be the No. 6 seed, which is set for the worst team in the B Division. And it's single elimination, so it's time to man up.

No comments: