Monday, August 06, 2007

Quite a week of baseball

Well I've started my 26th year on earth. A friend of mine, who's in her 50's, has told me 26 is the best year of most people's lives. Well, we'll find out soon enough.

Since I watched two games live this week, that's what we're talking about in this space. But before that, let me point this out. Just picked up Johnny Cash's Live From Folsom Prison album from the library. It's no wonder this album is so legendary. Honest music from the soul, well played, lyrics that hit home with the prisoners in attendance. It's funny, yet serious; uplifting, yet sobering. Excellent stuff.

Milwaukee was excellent on Thursday, and all in all, it was a 13 hour deal. The 2 hour trip to Madison and following 1.5 hour commute to Milwaukee went smooth. Nef and I caught up on old times. He's give me a bit of an idea on what it's like being a husband and father of two infant girls.

After arriving at Miller Park, I headed straight to the brat stand and got one with that secret sauce and grilled onion. 4 bucks, it's good stuff. And a Honey Weiss to top it off. Nef had some ice cream and as hot as it was, he had the right idea. It was seriously humid in that stadium. Then the game. Brian Lawrence, who hadn't pitched in the majors in a year and a half started on the mound for New York. And he held Milwaukee at bay. Damion Easley nailed an inside-the-park home run and Wright and Reyes both went yard in the Mets' 12-4 win. Took 2.5 hours to get back to Madison. The traffic getting out of there in rush hour was insane. I wound up home around 9 p.m.

Saturday at Wrigley Field was a little different story. I got to the city around 12:45 and headed straight for Merkle's, where there was a Mets fans rally. There must have been 20-25 of us in that tiny pub. We hung out, drank a little, and it was cool meeting some fellow backers of the orange and blue.

I watched batting practice up close and saw a conversation going on near the batting cage. Omar Minaya, Willie Randolph, and Lou Piniella. Since they were teammates on the Yankees in 1997, I'm sure Wilie and Lou discussed "The Bronx is Burning" and how inaccurate ESPN made it. I actually think it's an entertaining series, but I know Willie isn't a big fan of it.

The Mets stranded two runners in the first. John Maine pitched well for two innings but in the third, everything collapsed. With two outs and runners on first and third, Ryan Theriot dribbles a grounder off the mound and towards Jose Reyes. He fields the ball and fires it to first and the umpire calls Theriot safe, allowing the first run to score. It aggravated me because I'm still convinced Theriot was out. But Maine lost it and allowed five more runs. The Cubs shouldn't have had one run, instead they scored all their runs in the 6th. The Mets got two homers from Moises Alou, but never for a minute did I think they were winning.

I thought about going to the rubber match tonight, but I was a little tired and I knew if I went I wouldn't get home until around midnight and I'd be pretty worn down for work tomorrow. And the Mets did win tonight 7-3, taking the season series 5-2. Congrats to Tom Glavine for winning his 300th game tonight. I just couldn't go home for this one. So I actually went back to Rookie's for the first time since last December to watch it.

The Mets have officially befuddled me. In my last post, I ripped them. Since then, they've won 4 of 5 on the road against the Brewers and Cubs. Now comes three games against Atlanta in Shea Stadium. I really don't know what to expect. But we've lost three 3-game series to them this year. It's time for a change.

Not too much coming up this week outside of work.

No comments: