Thursday, February 07, 2008

Finally getting around to it

I have no idea why I waited this long to post. That Super Bowl last Sunday night was as good a football game as I have ever watched. I always felt the Giants would be competitive with the Patriots. I honestly knew they had the ability to win. But in the end, I didn't see it happening. Yet in the end, the Giants are the World Champions, 17-14 over the almighty New England Patriots. A few notes on this game.

1) Whoever becomes the next President should hire Steve Spagnuolo has the secretary of defense. To hold that team to 14 points is amazing. The only defense in the world that Spagnuolo could probably not turn around is the Knicks.

2) Nobody can seem to come up with a name for Eli Manning's escape from the Patriot pass rush, pass down the middle of the field, and David Tyree's remarkable catch. Radio programs have devoted themselves to it, as have TV programs, newspapers, websites. I propose Giant Miracles. It's snappy. It's descriptive. It refers directly to the play.

3) How good it felt to see Tom Brady get knocked on his backside 19 times! Thank you Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, Fred Robbins, Kawika Mitchell, and certainly, Jay Alford for that last sack.

4) A lot of people hate Eli Manning because he forced the trade from San Diego to the Giants when he was drafted. Even the people who hate have to respect him after what he did in this playoff run. He completed 61 percent of his passes, threw six TD's, and one interception (which was not his fault).

5) Michael Strahan can be seen as obnoxious. He's outspoken, no doubt about it. But he is a character and I appreciate he is willing to speak freely. His "Stomp you out" chant at City Hall was one of the most entertaining things I have ever seen.

Moving on...

6) Johan Santana has been introduced as a Met. I can't wait. And I just scored tickets for two games at Shea Stadium in July against the Cardinals.

7) Bret Hart's autobiography is an excellent book. In fact, as far as sports books go, I may call it the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.

8) I'm amazed Mitt Romney dropped out of the race before Mike Huckabee. I'm still hoping for McCain vs Obama. I like Huckabee but the only way he could be elected President is if the south secedes from the North again.

9) Something about Wednesdays and snow in this town. The last three Wednesdays have brought on horrific storms. This is the one time I'm glad I don't have to drive my old Honda, which stopped on ice about as well as a snowmobile.

10) Singer Tom Jones just insured his chest hair for 7 million dollars. Uh, Tom, that is unusual.

No comments: