Saturday, October 16, 2010

Kentucky, Day 6

So we woke up for the final time in Kentucky on Friday, the 15th. Had an apple for breakfast along with my first bowl of Rice Krispies in maybe ten years. I usually don't eat cereal because it's carbs and isn't feeling, but I enjoyed it for a change. Then after finishing Philippians 4, Mike handed out pieces of notebook paper to everyone, including Jane, who was there to see us off. We all passed our paper around the table to each other and then we had to write something we liked about that person. Then we had to read them off. Midway through the reading, the J-Crew came in. They asked what we were doing and when Barry suggested they do the same thing for each other, Jimmy asked "You got a postage stamp?" And Jim continued teasing Ellen playfully, his dry sense of humor really reminds me of my uncle, as I told him later.

We took off around 8:45 and I drove Barry and Carolyn up to Cincinnati, about a 2 hour trip. We went to the Creation Museum, which is organized by Answers in Genesis. They basically believe the universe and life originated 6,000 years ago and that the Great Flood was what wiped out the dinosaurs. Though I certainly believe in the Genesis account, I don't know about the universe originating 6,000 years ago. I suppose it is possible.

This place is basically in the middle of nowhere (Petersburg, KY) off 275 on the Kentucky/Ohio border. It's a decent size, one-level building and as we walked towards it from the back of the parking lot, I noticed a lot of states on the license plates of the other cars. Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, Indiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, etc. We immediately ate at Noah's Cafe, where I expected them to serve two of every animal. But was not the case. Instead, I drank one more Ale 81 and had my first taste of Cincy-style chili. I did a 4-way, which is pasta, chili, cheddar, and onion. I dashed it up with some hot sauce and I really enjoyed it. It was a little sweet and spicy and the flavors blended together very nicely.

I'm glad for the extra money we raised, that allowed us to get in for free instead of paying 20 bucks. We went through the walk-thru for about 2 hours and it was a combination planetarium/ theater/art museum. It breaks down the 7 C's as they call them, Creation, Corruption, Catastrophe, Confusion, Christ, Cross, Consummation. I liked the dinosaur pit and the Noah's Ark displays; the human corruption displays were a little rough to see.

We left the museum around 2:45 and I had a long talk with Mike about our family situations. I realize there really is no such thing as a normal family nowadays. After Ellen woke up from her 28th nap, we had fun doing some Mad Libs. We then stopped in Lafayette, IN for Chik-Fil-A and I became a quick fan of their spicy deluxe sandwich.

Barry and Carolyn drove me the rest of the way, which was about 3 hours or so. They really are a great couple, been married I think for around 35 years or so, and I'm glad I got to see an example of a very good marriage. Got home at 8:45 and headed straight downstairs to the laundry. Mom would be proud.

So right now, it is Saturday morning and here a few thoughts.

1) I think I was ready to get back into the swing of things at home, but only to an extent. Now that I'm back in this house right now, something just does not feel right about it. Maybe it's me.

2) The opportunity to serve is such a great thing. But maybe I can look for ways to serve my friends, my co-workers, maybe even my Mom, though it may hurt.

3) Whatever I burned off through my physical labor, I put it right back on with how I ate. But what was I going to do, say no?

4) I feel a little more content about my place with God right now. I want to take it with me back home. Yet it is up to me to take some kind of step. Maybe that's what I'm doing.

5) There are still issues for me to address and I can't imagine like they don't exist. It's hard for me to picture myself never being envious or bitter or even mad. Though I will never be perfect, I can do one thing better each day. That seems pretty attainable.

6) I am so happy I don't have to work today!

No comments: