Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Just realized

Until now, I have written 666 posts. So let's see what's on my mind. I leave for Kentucky on Sunday and I'll certainly have a post or two about my week there after I return. But for now, it's that special time in the sports season. All four are going on to an extent, so I have a few comments on more than a few topics.

1) I am thrilled with the Jets 3-1 start. What makes it even better is that all three wins have come against the AFC East. I wasn't sure what to expect from LDT, but he has done a tremendous job running the football. QB Mark Sanchez seems to get more comfortable by the week and the O-line has barely allowed an opposing defense to hit him. And zero INT's! And to think the offense gets Santonio Holmes and the D gets Darrelle Revis and Calvin Pace? Something special could be coming...

2) I have to say I am glad I don't have to hear Bears fans dreaming out loud about an undefeated season. Good job by the Giants, although the Bears offensive line reminded me of the 1996 Jets.

3) So it is a new era for Mets baseball. Goodbye Omar. Goodbye Jerry. And I pray to God it will be goodbye to Luis Castillo and Ollie P. There are plenty of viable candidates for the GM position. I can't give a fair opinion until I see action. Same for the manager. I don't know what to expect. But I am willing to go through another bad year just as long as I see some signs of stability, direction, and forward progress at the end.

4) Not sure what to say about the Knicks, except I like the roster turnover. I would love to see Carmelo here. I still question if Mike D'Antoni is a championship-caliber coach.

5) The Ryder Cup is so much more exciting when you can watch it live. In other words, when it is played in the United States.

6) The Rangers begin three nights from now. Maybe Dad would have ordered the package for me if he hadn't done the things he did. For now, I'll just stick with the radio. I like that Derek Stepan is on the team and I hope he gets enough ice time to show he belongs. I like that this team has showed more hustle, toughness, and teamwork than they did last year. But the defense is allowing way too many odd-man rushes to the opposition. Henrik may be the best goalie in the world, but even he needs a defense who can clear the crease. I know this team is not ready to contend for the Stanley Cup, but I'm hoping for a playoff appearance and maybe a series win or two. I can't expect them to be better than Washington, Pittsburgh, or maybe even Boston and New Jersey.

7) Baseball picks: Twins over Yankees in 5, Rays over Rangers in 4, Giants over Braves in 4, Phils over Reds in 3. Rays over Twins in 5, Giants over Phils in 6, Giants beat Rays in 6.

Song pick: "Making Believe" Ray Charles

No comments: